1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount 7.5 Poly Control Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by flatland, Dec 12, 2011.

1. flatland

flatland Junior Member

I have a 7.5' Poly blade, Ultramount, Isolation Module, + handheld controller. This is 6 years old and up to now has worked without a problem.

Headlights work.
    Control lights up + Power light comes on when I press on/off.

But when I press Raise or Left or Right the Motor relay clicks (hydraulic motor does not run) and the Control power light goes off.

If I short across the motor relay battery terminals the motor does run.

I put dielectric grease on all connections.

I thought perhaps the relay was bad and replaced it. Same thing happens.

After trying it about 100 times I did get the blade to raise once and go left and right a couple times. But then it went back to not working again - press a control, relay clicks and it sounds like a relay clicking inside the control as well then shuts off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Flatland.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

check grill connectors, check your grounds, truck side and plow side. MAKE sure you have have good grounds. any green fuzz is bad.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 on the grounds

4. flatland

flatland Junior Member

Thanks guys - I'll check all grounds today and report back.

Related question - any reason I can't use the Permatex dielectric grease vs. Western brands?

Flatland

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Nope same stuff. Westerns grease flows a little better. But same stuff. Get the permatex, more for your money.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

In the end might be the hand control I had same problem with a western end up being the hand control I had friend that use his control and plow would work

7. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i just had the same problem and it was my joystick controller it went bed....

8. flatland

flatland Junior Member

Thanks for feedback on the controllers.

If I have to replace it do you guys prefer the joystick or the hand controller?

Flatland

9. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I prefer the handheld controller.

But really it's what u can afford.

If the pc board burnt up in it I no how to fix them.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

it is all about what you are use to. I personally do not like hand helds as when you what them to float, you have to hold the button down. I like joysticks as you just have to tap down and they go into float.

Again, it is all personal perferance