1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount 2?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Willman940, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Watching some plowing videos, I noticed that Western is now selling the Ultra Mount 2 and a hand full of other features. Where I work now we Use boss plows so I don't have anything to go look at.
    What are the differences?
    Do the older plows also have the "sway bar" that lets the plow follow the ground better?
    What is fleet flex and soft stop?

Hope everyone is doing well.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

No such thing as an Ultramount 2....All Ultramounts have that pivot bar, Fleet Flex is like a Boss system. It lets one truck run any Western plow. Soft stop doesn't close the angle valve as soon as you let off the button on the controller so it doesn't jerk to a stop and bounce your truck around, it glides to a stop. Kinda hard to get the angle you want with it so it has its pros and cons.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

UM2 does exist.... it has a red bar on top.....LOL

An enhanced version of the popular UltraMount® mounting system

Fast and easy – no tools required!

Extra wide receiver brackets for easy drive-in alignment

New one-piece lift frame design for added strength and durability

Simple mechanical connecting hook

Rotating pivot bar keeps attaching points level

Blade pivots while plowing for a cleaner scrape

Chain lift system for higher stacking and safe emergency transport

Removable receiver brackets for off-season ground clearance

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. 2006Sierra1500

I stand corrected. Only thing I see different is that little bit of paint and the one piece lift frame.

5. 1olddogtwo

The new frame should be a huge improvement over the 4 bolt design.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pivot bar is redone with pins removable from the back side making the process of reconfiguring the plow(adjusting plow for different height front ends of trucks) real easy! If you have ever done the process you know what a pain it is!

7. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Not true. It is not like the Boss system. With Boss, you also need to change the control. With Fleet Flex, one control will operate any plow, straight, vee, or extendable. Any plow, any truck, one control.

8. 1olddogtwo

I thought so bit I wasn't sure. I was wondering why the new prodigy had the WO, MVP controller. Will the older ones work still work?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

With Boss you can run anything off a v controller. Still no idea why they don't push that aspect like western does.

10. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I'm wondering if my plow I just ordered will have the new updated stuff on it???... I'm hoping it's a good plow. Ordered an 8.5 mvp poly. Have a hiniker 8foot straight blade that was trouble free but as said many times here. Dealer makes all the difference.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You should ask.

12. 2006Sierra1500

I don't think the MVP+ got UM2, from their website it looks like its only the MVP3, and Prodigy got it

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Beat me to it. I discovered this by accident about 10+ years ago. Boss wiring is so simple. Switched relays, headlight adapters, etc. No confusing electrical BS mess like the Westerns, especially the newer ones. Troubleshooting nightmares. Boss mounts are great too. They found a great design and stuck with it for what, almost 20 years? IDK but it's been a while. Even RT2's were nice for mounting. They had simple down to a science back when there were still conventionals lol.

I'm not even a Boss guy but I'll back that up anyday. Install some new plows of all brands and you'll soon learn how great Boss really is. New Ultras are great for mounting, but start messing with used ones and see how much they're really not.

Nothing beats the PH1 Blizzard IMHO. Too bad DD screwed that one up too. I have 5 PH1 PP's and still trying for more. I want to get the last of a good thing while I still can. One Boss and one Unimount too. You won't seen me own an Ultra. I've fought with one too many of them. :mechanic:

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

those are the first ones that will get it, and nobody would have any yet. there won't be any UM2 stuff ready to ship until later in the summer. If you are shopping for an MVP3 or Prodigy you won't have to worry about not getting ultramount 2, but if you buy an MVP+, Wideout, or any straight plow you will have to ask the distributor what they have in stock.
    I would say most people around the country who buy preseason will not be able to get Ultramount 2's on those models, because Western won't be shipping them until they run out of the current Ultramount big boxes.

15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Any more insight as to when the new ultramount 2's availability, I have a new superduty on order and am planning on putting a wideout on it but want the new design.

16. 1olddogtwo

I just picked up a 2013 SD today, also ready to order new MVP 3.

17. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I saw your recent post. I have a question for you on my new mvp plus (8.5 poly). I am wondering about the blade stops ( maybe called something else) My plow didnt come with them and my dealer told me that I really dont need them. Im saying b.s. to that seems like they would give it way more strength when v'd back and opening hard crusted stuff. So whats your thoughts?? (sorry for the long story) Thanks for your time.

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 MVP's both around 5 years old. I haven't had any problems with either one of them. Easy to mount and the pivot bar works great.

As far as the stops go you should be fine without them. I thought they were only on the 9'6" model, much heavier plow.

19. 1olddogtwo

I added them for peace of mind. There is a lot of leverage with a long wing. I didn't want to risk of bending or blowing a ram. I think I paid 125 for the set, they could made up cheaper by any machine shop/welder.

20. 1olddogtwo

Like most things in life, the standard becomes an option. I believe the older MVP frames had them from the factory.