1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount 2-plug wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jhenegh, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys,

Recently bought an 8' Ultramount to go on my 1994 F250 and it is an early Ultramount with the 2-plug wiring. I already have the mount I need and supposedly all the wiring but it was uninstalled poorly and I haven't tried to lay it all out and see what I've got yet so I'm debating just getting all new truckside wiring.

With that being said, I assume now is the time to upgrade from 2-plug to 3-plug? I'm new to Western so please educate me. I previously had a Sno-Way on my F150. If anybody has part numbers etc. handy that would be awesome!

This plow will probably find its way on a 99+ Superduty eventually so I am looking more long-term. I suppose I can make the wiring investment now...

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's the issues? Where about in state might you be at?

3. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

I just haven't checked out the truckside for completeness yet, I just saw some cut/loose wires when I was quickly going through all my mount and wiring parts. From the bit I've read it just sounds like everybody is a fan of the 3-plug isolation module setup.

I'm in West Lafayette!

Thanks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. I'm in Griffith.
    There should be 3 loose wires 2 on the drivers side and one on the pass side

5. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Alrighty. I'll check it out next time I get a chance. I'm working on finding my 2 missing mount parts (67874 & 67875 plates) then I'm moving on to getting it on and wiring.

I'll revisit this as soon as I've got more of a clue haha

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, the first year or two of ultramounts were relay wiring like unimounts, with two plugs at the grill. there is relay wiring still available for the 94 Ford. It should be about $275 approx new. going to isolation module wiring would be alot more. the wiring for the truck would be about $550, plus you'd need to convert the plow, which would mean adding a little harness to the coils, and either changing the plow lights or rewiring them. so about $225-350 depending on which way you go there.
    so I would just stay with relay wiring. if you go to your 99 ford later you could still use most of that wiring again, and would just need the diff headlight harness.

7. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Ok thanks nealybird, thats some good info.

Thanks both of you, I'll get this harness laid out within the week and see what I've got to work with. And I'll try and find a diagram. I've had good luck with Western's website so far.

Thanks

8. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Went through the wiring I have last night with the wiring diagram and it turns out what I have is complete,every wire that was a splice into the turn/parking lamps had just been cut pretty short, and a wire into each relay has been too. But every color-coded wire is there and accounted for, so I'll just be adding where I need to to make everything reach.

I got my Sno Way sold this weekend and picked up the missing mount brackets this morning so hopefully I can make some progress this week on getting this Western on and running!

Thanks

9. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Got it all wired up and installed last night. My mystery plow that I bought in June worked! I was glad to see that. I did have to get the HB5 headlight adapters wiring. I had the DB2 style and didn't even notice :dizzy: until I went to wire it earlier last week.