1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra_mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NYplowboy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

I have seen a few threads dedicated to the ultra mount, as a fromer FISHER owner i am extremely disappointed with the western.The spring-loaded jacks that hold the plow up when the plow is dismounted do not line up with the holes provided for them. I have to use a bottle jack and raise the plow until the holes line up. The pins in the jacks are all the way down as suggested in an earlier thread. Also , as I do primarily black top, the shoes are rarely on the plow. any Ideas? thanks

2005 GMC 2500HD 6.0 reg.cab

2. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

What exactly isn't lining up? I run 4 gm trucks with 4 ultra mounts. Sometimes there is a problem lining up when the amount of load in the truck is different then when the plow was removed. But I have since learned how to avoid this by hooking up the plugs and placing the plow into float mode. Take some pics and post them so we can get a better idea of what exactly your misalignment issue is.

3. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I dont have a single problem, drive in or our, 15 seconds and its on or off! Are you sure that everything is set properly?

4. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

The problem is in removing the plow, not putting it on. The jack that holds the plow up when not on the plow is what i am referring to. the jack is all the way to the floor and the pins wont go in the holes.The drivers side sometimes goes in, but the passenger side never lines up unless I jack up the plow frame by hand. The whole set up is in a heated,level, concrete floored garage. I understand that there are pins that hold the shoes in the jack that are adjustable, these are in the last hole so the shoes wont raise up into the jack any further. Maybe it just takes getting used to, I had a fisher minute-mount 2 and it was pull-the-pin-drop-the-jack-put-back-the-pin---------done! one jack, one pin. thanks

5. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Sorry, second sentence should be "not on the truck" i wrote, "not on the plow' long day

6. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Have you cranked up the torsion bars at all? What is the measurement to the flat part of the mount where the receiver go in? My dads Chevy 3/4 has plenty of room to step down the foot even with the pin in the 3rd pin hole.

7. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

your truck is probably to low, your saying you cant put the feet down all the way right? have ballast in the back and turn up the torsion bars 3-4 turns.

8. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Thanks,
    Haven't touched torsion bars, I have the Western recommended 190lbs of ballast, i will try and measure and get it posted,I really appreciate your help. The Fisher was so freakin easy,I guess I was spoiled:) . Now that you mentioned it, I think the front end must be to low, new truck, new plow, I need to adjust. could it be because i take the shoes off the plow?

9. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

no its not from the shoes, it used to happen to me sometimes, it just because chevy/gmc trucks are so low. sometimes i would have to drive up on a 2x4 just to get a little more height outa the front end. after the torsion bars it worked well. It happens sometimes still if theres hard packed snow under where i put my plow, j ust have to chip it away and they go down.

Maybe ask your dealer if it is set up correctly. each plow has its own adjustments...trust me the western will spoil you even more.

10. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Thanks Kemmer, i was going to try dropping the plow on a platform or something.I appreciate the responces.

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

on a chevy you need to have timberns and crank the bars 4 turns. When the shoes are down there should be 1-1.5" of space between them and the ground. Before you push them down. Westerns are easier to remove and install than a fisher. I own both.

12. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Thanks Green, Didnt think I needed timbrens on a 3/4 ton with plow prep. I used them on my 1/2 tons. Also I thought the timbrens worked when the plow was off the ground not when lowered, they are supposed to keep the front end from diving when i raise the plow (per Fisher dealer when he installed the RD on my half ton.) Time will tell, thanks

13. itsgottobegreen

Chevys do sit very low compared to fords and dodges. The timberns and cranking the bars can raise a chevy up to 2" higher. Plus you need at least 750 pounds of weight behind the rear wheels. Then it will be set up just right. Also going to the next size tire makes a big difference.

14. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Also there is adjustment on the mounting plates by the pivot bar check to see if it is mounted with the angle on the top or bottom. Check Westerns site for the setup for your truck. There are 4 different setups for the pivot bar mount and the jack roll pins according top your vehicle mount height.

15. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

WOW!, 750lbs????? of ballast?
    crank up torsion bars, add timbrens, 750lbs of ballast........That Fisher I want is getting easier to get past the wife everyday!:nod: :) . But the tightwad that I am will probably figure out a way to get the Western to work. I will contact the Western dealer after the season and work something out, I just hope its not the same dealer that installed it lol (it was on the truck when I bought it). You guys have been great comming forward with hints and help with this topic. thanks again.

2005 Garage Mans Companion 2500HD western 71/2' ultra-mount

16. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

it does sound like your truck is too low if you are using a jack to raise it so the feet can click in. i assume you are lifting the front of the truck up by doing this too. As was mentioned, it may not be that your truck is too low but that your plow is improperly configured for your truck's setup.

consult the installation instructions if you have them.

-Jer

17. itsgottobegreen

I work at a western dealer in the winter. Almost every chevy gets timberns put on. But still 1 out of every 5 still doesn't sit up enough on the front end unless its got weight in the back. Don't know why, don't ask.

18. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Mine has NEVER had a problem lining up

19. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have 285s on my truck with timbrens and plow prep and havent had any problems lining up other then sometimes im off one side or the other. As for the ballast, 750 lbs is going to be recommended by any manufacture so there really isnt much of an advantage by switching to Fisher.

20. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

My 1 Ton Dodge diesel has a Western Ultra mount. I don't have any issues w/ the jacks or anything not lining up unless (as previously mentioned) I change the load in the truck. I run timbrens on the truck. I am not supposed to have any plow on my quad cab Diesel truck but I do and I don't have issues w/ front end sag. When the plow is raised the truck might drop about 1".
    We also have a GMC w/ a standard blade (uni mount) and i think that truck drops more than my Dodge.
    Your problem has to be some place, some where some thing is not as it should be. The truck is too low, the jack is bent or some thing (why problems w/ just the passenger side?).
    I would take it to a proffessional and see what they have to say.