1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra vs unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowin boy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Went and looked at a 7ft standard pro plow today(unimount) that a guy has for sale, very good condition from the looks of it, he has all controls, harness. Was bought at an auction a couple years ago for $3800.00 he is asking $1000.00. Is this a good buy considering I will have to buy a truck mount and wings?? What do you guys think of unimounts?? I am going to put it on a 2003 GMC sierra 1/2 ton extended cab short bed truck. Thanks for your responses.
  2. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

also, does anyone know if this plow will fit any unimount truck mount??(the plow is probably 4 maybe 5 years old) Wasn't for sure if the A-frame is different or not.
  3. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

make sure they make a unimount kit for that truck, i was gonna buy an older unimount for my 05ford and they didnt make a kit for it, so had to go with a new ultra mount
  4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

For some reason I remember them saying that plows are specifically NOT recommended for extanded cab 1/2 tons. I remember it was advised against on my 2000.

I think all unimounts should be the same. If this plow doesn't include wiring you could wind up spending close to $1000 to make it fit your truck.
  5. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Also wondering if there is a model number on the mounts. I looked all over but did not find one. Am i not looking in the right place?
  6. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Look on westerns web page, they have pdf files for each specific truck
  7. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I transfered a unimount from a 2000 silverado 2500 to a 95 f-150. I was able to find a frame for the unimount, but you can buy the ultra mount frame, but you have to purchase an adapter kit to go from ulta to unimount if you can not locate a unimount frame for your truck. You will have to buy new wiring harnesses for the lights. My chevy had daytime running lights, and it had 6 relays to run everything. That could be a little costly. New frame is 500 adapter kit was around 100 wiring harness could be a little more