1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra vs. unimount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ptllandscapeIL, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

im having a really hard time liking my ultra mount plow. i bought my truck used with a 1 year old ultra on it(big mistake ). the guy had the truck sitting in the back of his drive for a year with the plow in the air rained on snowed on everything u can name.i get it, the scraper blade is missing 4 inches off the corner no big deal fixed it, i go to use it the first snowfall, i cant the o ring is shot...next day go to fix the o-ring the thing is perfactly fine ...weird the plow works fine again then last week i go to put the plow back on my truck the f****** motor assembly is done for. the inside bushes connect to the ground terimal is shot ad stupid westen has not made that part for sale yet i. had to buy the whole motor 133 bucks...and now my bigest piss off no mater hwo much u ajust that darn thing it just dont drop as hard and fast as the unimount its all nice and smoth drops, i hate it any other people with me on this?
  2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the UltraMount. Unfortunately, leaving a plow outside, uncovered with the plow raised is never a good practice. Did you change the fluid when you bought it? If not, you should change it and clean and/or replace the filters too. Other than that, the only advice I can give you is to take it to the dealer and have them do a complete service and inspection to make sure nothing else has the potential to go wrong. They should know what to look for, since they work on them all the time.

As for the drop speed, nothing drops like a UniMount with the older-style solenoid pumps. You can set them to drop like a ton of bricks.

Good luck
  3. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Why are you blaming the plow when the plow was not stored properly? Did you perform a complete PM on the plow prior to winter? And so what if the Ultramount does not drop like a brick? This is the 2nd seaon for the ultramount, and I love how easy it is to hook/unhook the plow.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can try speeding the drop rate by backing out the quill. If you stand in front of the plow and look at the top of the valve block towards the front left corner you will see a regular slot screw, back it out a 1/4 turn at a time. Be careful not to back it all the way out so that it comes out.
  5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

my ultra dropped too fast when I first hooked it up, I slowed it down

I cant see why your cant adjust yours to drop to your liking?
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Don't blame Western for lack of proper care. Sounds like the plow was abused and not properly prepped for winter use. The speed of the blade dropping is controlled by backing off the quil.
  7. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

might be a lil silly here,

but i saw the ultra mount on the western site today, looks pretty cool and simple. my question is what is the unimount. how does it differ from the ultra. if i buy a used plow, which woulld be best to get?
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The Ultra Mount by far is the easy to connect, takes me about 20 seconds to hook up. Thats the biggest plus with the Ultra Mount.
  9. Both are very good and reliable plows. The ultra definately has a faster hookup time but to some that is not nessecary. I have ultramount brackets on my F-250 but have the Unimount conversion kit with a Unimount 8.6 plow on it. I love the setup and would only upgrade to a Ultra when this thing wears out, which should be a very long time.
  10. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

i understand from watching the videos, how good the hook up time is. what i am curious...i take it that the uni mount is an old mount. is it old enough that the head gear hangs on the truck all year long?

how do i know if when i am looking on ebay....if it has a removable headgear or not?

i don't want to put a permanant headgear on my truck anymore...it was fine in the olden days...lol...but not any more....

any help from where i am coming from?
  11. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I have a new ultra mount MVP..... super easy removal and install.... no complaints here !! with the new ULTRA mount .... you get alot more ground clearence when you take off the flaired guides that are a part of the mount on the truck.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Both the ultra and uni mounts the head gear comes off the truck with the plow. The plows where the headgear stays on the truck are known as CONVENTIONAL style plows. Other plow manufactures have different names for their mounts, so if you are looking to buy something on ebay, ask the seller if the head gear comes off with the plow. And if they do not know, I would be a bit suspicious of them, might be a stolen plow their trying to unload.
  13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

On the unimount pump and lights stay on the plow. The ultra mount is a new redesign of the unimount with a updated pump and mounting system and it does have alot more ground clearance. Only conventional mounts have the headgear on the truck.
  14. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

thanks guys, that was the info i was wanting....conventional...

thanks again...