1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra vs Uni-mounts?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by old skool, Jan 13, 2008.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Ive been starting to look at used plows for my, just aquired 97 Chevy K3500. Im not real familiar with any of the Western mounts. I have seen the Ultra mounts, and they look pretty easy to hook up. Being newer, they are harderd to find and probably a little more expensive.

It looks like the Uni-mount also drops the pump and lights with the plow...but how does everything hook up to the trucks undercarriage? Does it have 4 pins/ are they easy to hook up also? Any other "quirks" ? Thanks.
  2. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

the unimount lights and headgear do come off with the plow and the use 4 pins to hookup their not to bad to attach the frame to the truck plus you should find one pretty reasonable
  3. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

The only problem with the unimount is that the brackets hang down quite a ways the rest of the year. The ultramount brackets come off with one pin on each side and you don't loose any ground clearance.
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Spend the money and get a ultra mount.
  5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thanks for the input guys.., Im going to finish this year with the 7 1/2 foot Western that was on the 97 when I bought it, so Im not going to need anything before next winter. I had been thinking of installing the 9 foot Meyers from my 80 K30 dually on the 97, but with the new truck being a single wheel, Im a little concerned about that being a bit much for it?

I do like the ultra...probably an 8 foot size would be best?.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The unimounts can be a pita sometimes trying to hook them up yourselves. They go on much easier with 2 people.

Btw, where in nw IL are you?
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Fisher Minute Mount 2 hands down:D, there's no easier mounting system out there!
  8. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Mark, Im in the Sterling area, how 'bout you?

Matt, Would like to stick to Western or Meyer....possibly a Boss...( dealers in area.)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  9. KelleyZP

KelleyZP Member

ULTRA mount no doubt- very easy and simple to hook up and as previously stated, the plow frame does not reduce your ground clearence in the summer- an excellent produce
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm in Woodstock.
  11. doh

doh Senior Member

Ultra, for 2 reasons.

Hook up, and headlights.

I have a Uni, and plow with a Ultra at work, 2 weeks ago after plowing my accounts, I jumped out of my truck and into the shop truck to plow the lot. I couldn't believe that "I could SEE" Man you never really know until you do 1 after another, how bad it really is.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They are with help or the use of a floor jack, without either or there not on level ground they can be a real pain.

Sounds like that ones based on personal opinion..:D

No reason you can't run the C-9 on your K3500, single wheel or not. That truck is more than capable.
  13. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

You think it will handle the C9 ok? I wasnt very happy the first time I used the 97... not near as much @ss as the old 80 dually. (the 80 weighs in around 7200 empty and is powered by a 454 ).... I felt like I was plowing with a garden tractor at first. But in all fairness.. it was a very wet snow that had a lot of hard pack underneath,that was like ice. Plus, I'm used to a mud-type lug tire, where the new truck has half worn out all seasons on it (for now).

I have used the 97 in about 5" of "regular" snow,with 500 lbs of ballast, and it was much better. Maybe I will try the Meyer next winter with a new set of tires. I only plow 6 or 7 accounts anymore ( I used to do over 30 commercial ones) so its hard to justify 4 grand for a new set-up. The only other thing is finding a place under the hood for the Monarch electic pump I run. Might have to re-locate a charcoal emission canister.
  14. itsgottobegreen

Nope, Sorry I own both a fisher and western. Western still is easier.

Oldschool- If I where you. I would keep that 7.5 unimount. If you want to go wider, put some aftermarket prowings on it. You just asking for trouble taking that reliable western off and putting a meyers on it. Even with the monarch pump.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 97 will take the C9 just fine..

A few turns on the T-bars (maybe a set of Timbrens if necessary) and the proper ballast and tires, just like setting up any other truck and it'll work fine. Spending $4000 on a new 8 ft Ultra won't make it handle or carry any better or worse than the C-9 you already own. And since your planning on using the Monarch hydro's, it won't be any more or less reliable either.
  16. itsgottobegreen

Um yea right. He will still have the pivot pin problem. The king pin problems. Weak A frame problem, etc. I work on all plows at my day job. Yes the monarch hydros will get the crappy pumps problem fixed. But not the weak links in a meyers fixed.
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So you'd recommend spending $4000 vs. maintaining a currently owned plow? That's what it sounds like to me as pivot pin problems are due to lack of maintenance (read: grease).

And don't worry, I fix Western king bolts and A-frames here too, I'm not biased ;).
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Listen to the man! unlike the rest of us he works on plows at his day job. So listen to the Pro if it isn't Western it's a POS.:rolleyes:
  19. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I am sure Fisher makes a good plow, but unfortunately dealer support in N.W. IL sucks. I can't remember the last time I saw a Fisher around here, same for Hiniker, Snow-way, Curtis, & Diamond. The brands with the best dealer support around here are Western, Meyer, Boss, & maybe Blizzard. But by far you see Western the most.
    I have my Unimount stored on a fixture I made with caster wheels on it. It moves so easy a child could position it onto the truck. It takes litterally less that a minute to hook it up.
    Old Skool I am in the Rockford area. IMO I would run more weight in the bed, 800# is what I run on an F350 SRW PSD RC, it weighs around 9000 with the plow & balast on.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  20. itsgottobegreen

Um I doubt you have ever fixed a pro plus pivot pin. Since the entire pivot point is made out of 1/2" thick steel plate and heavy wall tubing with a 7/8" diameter bolts that is 8" long as the pivot pin.

BTW I work on all major plows at my day job. Our bread and butter comes from repairing meyers.