1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra to unimount kit

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by delcosnow14, Jan 17, 2010.

1. delcosnow14

delcosnow14 Junior Member

2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

No that is for the ultramount.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Does it hang low, yes? Do you need a jack to put it on? No, more like a sturdy block of wood. Where you are dropping / attaching the plow at, the Uni mount multi pin or the Ultra singe?

4. delcosnow14

im not to sure what a multi singe is lol

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Sorry, I meant side. Do you drop it at the Uni-Mount side with all the pins, or do you drop it at the Ultramount side with the two pins?

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That kit is for the unimount plow so it can be use on a ultra mount setup.

If that the case, you need to have weight in the bed of the truck. For example, 300 lbs.

After the correct weight (what ever weight is call for your vehicle using the ballast calculator, using quick match, on the western site) you have to measure the distant from the top of the plate to the ground (level). From 13"-16" you would use "plate A". From 16" to 17" up to 19" you would use plate "b" and the holes "configuration" according to the plate used.

That is probably why your having a hard time getting the plow to stand on it own, because the configuration of the plates are wrong. Look at the pdf again and follw the instruction closely.. I had to read it twice..

7. delcosnow14

I drop it on the ultra mounnt side with just 2 pins. And i did recheck my height aswell i followed all instructions again this year to make sure i was using the right brackets, and i was. I did notice in the western uni mount installation instructions for putting the plow on the truck the picture of the plow had hinged stands on it kinda like the ultra mount does, i feel that would make a huge differance. anyone no what im talking about or where i could maybe find some.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I know the conversion kit is not the easiest thing to use compared to new plow hook ups, but at least it gives you a option to use a old uni-mount.
    In the back of my shop is a old conversion mount, but as of this week all of my plows are now Boss. If anybody needs a kit, I have one available. Just pm me.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

delco

is there a number on the instruction sheet they sent you so I can look at it.Maybe I can make sense of it..Just sounds like your too low in the front...Do you have weight in the bed of your truck?

10. delcosnow14

yea i have my snow ex vee pro 8000 in the back which is over 400 pounds. its just the fact that once the plow is off the whole light kit drops and when i go to put it on i get the back holes lined up and then have to push up the lights to get the front holes to line up. its a pain the ass when your alone. thats why i usally use a jack so i dont strugggle. ill get the number off the sheet tomorrow. thanks for your help

11. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

I think this is meant to be dropped from the unimount side leaving the adapter on the truck. Have you tried it that way? And if so how did that go?

12. delcosnow14

i have not tried it that way. ill try next time i hook it up. Thanks

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah don't try and drop the plow with the Ultramount side. That makes for a nightmare and not at all how the adapter was designed to work. You have a Unimount plow, hook it up as such. The adapter is actually one of Westerns best inventions IMHO. It makes life waaaaay easier when trying to locate a mount for a specific vehicle that is now obsolete. I run them on all of my trucks and love them. Once winter is over, remove the adapter. Having to look at it on the truck for a few months isn't that big of a deal to me.

That being said, I work on and deal primarily with Western plows. Give me a Unimount hookup any day. Dealing with rusted frozen Ultramounts gets old. Even assembling a new Ultramount sucks.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This is how I use mine. Works great and really improves versatility since I can use either a Unimount or 2-plug Ultramount.

15. delcosnow14

Thanks guys. i just hate the fact that the conversion kit hangs so low. ill let ya no how i make out.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

What kind of truck do you have? Is your conversion kit set at its highest setting? When installed properly it shouldn't hang any lower than a Unimount bracket.

17. delcosnow14

yea its at its highest i checked a few times. its a 2006 f350

18. desmato

desmato Junior Member

Delco, I have been using the same setup you have for 5 years now on a 2005 Dodge. I admit, It can be tricky and the conversion bracket does hang a bit lower than I would like but as others say, It allows the use of any plow on a modern truck (though very sloppy). I always removed my plow using the Unimount pins and leave the conversion bracket in place on the truck. Another suggestion, I have one of those wooden moving dollies/piano dollies that I set the plow on which makes it a SNAP to remount and move if needed. the trick I found is to set a 4x4 across the back of the dolly where the a-frame would rest, and viola.... perfect height every time. been doing it for years though I just bought a new Ultra last week.

Todd