1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra religous plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Dec 24, 2002.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

How many of you out there plow for people who are SUPER religous? The type of people who will not let ANYONE work on their property / properties on certain days of the week due to holidays, religous observances, etc. no matter what the circumstances may be, other than police or medical personell. How do you handle an account like this?
  2. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

It's funny how some people think. Someone had to work Sunday morning to get the church open for business (i mean...mass)
  3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I've been around all sorts of really religous people. Can't judge good or bad. Just do what the ask to the best of your ability. Maybe communicate with them prior to the day? Jewish it would be 1/2 hour before sundown on Friday till sundown on Saturday. I don't know the exact details of any other religion that would be like though.....
  4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have a contract to plow a convent. We might be getting snow tonight so I'm sure the nuns will want the place to be cleared for the morning so their guests can get in. They have never complained about me plowing on Christmas Day before. One of my lawn customers would not let me cut her grass on Sundays but it was not a big deal, I would just come back on Mondays to do it.

5. a palustris

a palustris Member

Howard hit the nail on the head. I have worked for a Rabbi before, along with some other VERY observant Jews. They have told me straight out, I am not to be there from sundown on Friday, till sundown on Saturday for business... no matter what, UNLESS there is a life threatening emergency. What does everybody do with people like that when a blizzard comes around?
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

buy them a shovel and tell them you'll be back on sunday:drinkup:
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Being that this is America, and you can worship whomever and whatever you like. You simply respect their wishes, and while you dont have to agree, you have to accept that their rights and beleifs are important to them.
  8. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

I usually just tell those people that I have been praying to the snow gods and that they must pay now or forever be forgotten. :D Merry X-mas. Ryan
  9. a palustris

a palustris Member

My general reason for questioning though was that, if the snow storm has been large enough to warrant more than one plowing, or even just plowing, how do you charge when you go there on Saturday night or Sunday morning?
  10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

My max is 6" anything above that they get charge twice, because I would have plowed it at 6". then again when the snow fall warrants it, like today. If the customer doesn't want me to do it for some reason and I come back to 12" on the ground, it is charged twice. It will take longer to plow the 12".
  11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Usually, if you do what someone asks, they don't mind getting charged whatever the price.. Good service is worth it.
  12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Hopefully, you have a contract and specific items are mentioned.

If not, upon renewal time, be sure to mention, added time and costs involved with delayed plowing.

Communication seems to be a key factor here.

Good Luck!

13. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

And release of liability (like if the fire engines can't get into the site and the place burns down. God works in mysterious ways...)
  14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

New Church

I turned in a bid a month or so ago, for a brand new church, the board met, wanted to accept my bid. However, the young pastor didn't want to sign a contract or liability waiver. He wanted plowing only on a per request basis. I re-wrote the contract as an hourly rate contract with a one hour minimum, with emphasis on the church's liability for delayed plowing(snow melting/refreezing, ice, etc).

Well, never heard from them, figured they got someone cheaper.
    Thursday night after the Christmas storm, I was out enjoying the snow on the snowmobile, got a message asking me to plow.

So early Friday am, I plowed 2day old accumulation that had already been tracked through and melted partially. Needless to say, it wasn't nearly as clean as I like it. At any rate, it took approx 45 min, so I bill my one hour and go home happy.