1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra pro plus just clicks loud

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by show-n-go, Jan 7, 2010.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I can't use the search function from my phone.
    Controller lights up and I switched it just to check, we just replaced the solinoid too,
    when I hit any button I just hear one pop. We also swapped iso boxes just to eliminate that.
    I'm stumped. Which isn't hard, but my mechanic is too.

Anyone know what this is? Sorry if there is type O's Im using my iPhone since we are stuck in a lot.
    Call me if it's easier to explain 5134035553

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

maybe a bad ground. your batterys clean? grill plugs have dialectric grease and clean. where the ground cable bolts to the pump clean? do you have a volt meter with you

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Yes I have a meter. All the connections are clean and greased

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

check for any bad connection.

Check the black/orange wire to make sure it is grounded.

Check the harness going through the fire wall for any chaffing of the wires.

Check the battery leads and ground leads for proper connection

what type of mod. 4port three wire..4 port two wire, 3 port??? 9pin, 12 pin?

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

with your meter check for power at the two plug grill connection. if you got power there check the motor for 12v. if no power at the grill connection check for power at your solenoid

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Thank you for your help. I tried to respond a few times but my phone was timing out. We ended up short chaining it and taking it back to the shop. It wasn't my vehicle, it was the shop f550 and we needed every truck running, they never did have time to finish fixing it, at least up until 7am today.

7. ford 350

ford 350 Junior Member

There is a red wire that usually goes from the fuse box to the controller harness(probably under the dash somewhere). This is hot when the ignition is on. Check to see that it has a good connection in the fuse box, I was having the same problem and this seems to have been the culprit in my case. The little steel tab in the fuse box that the wire connects to was very loose on the leg of the fuse. I crimped it tight. We'll see.

Also, some controllers are grounded inside the cab, be sure this is good as well.

Does the controller back light continue lit after the controller shuts off? And then can you turn the controller right back on?

8. ford 350

ford 350 Junior Member

It also sounds like you could have a seized plow motor or pump.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the controller lights up then the ignition feed wire is fine and the plow is being recognized as present. When you press anything but down on the control you should hear a click (from the solenoid) if you do then you need to see if there is power getting across the contacts. You can use a test light... See if you get the test light to go on at the output screw. The input will be hot all the time, the output will only light up when you need the motor. Another trick is to use a booster cable directly to the pump motor. Be sure to connect the polarity right and just touch it momentarily. It will spark a bit, that is normal because it will draw a lot of current. The thing you want to see is if the motor spins at all. If the motor doesn't spin at all with direct power then your motor is toast, if it does then you probably have a motor relay problem or a bad connection on your main power cables.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you just jump across the solenoid two main studs..If the motor turn on, then the solenoid is on it way out..If the motor doesn't run, then check to see if you have power to the motor.if you don't have power to the motor, then you have a problem with the power harness (one that connect to the battery).If you do have power to the motor, then bench test the motor.......