1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ground Cover, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Ground Cover

Ground Cover Junior Member

i have a 03 western 8' pro plus ultra mount. i had the plow on about a week ago for some flyer pictures. today i put the plow on and it wouldnt raise angle left or right all it would do is click, and make the high beam indicator light on the dash come on. after about five minutes of playing with it and tapping the motor with a hammer it took off raised lowered angled left right all the lights worked good to go. i greased all the pivots on it and was going over every thing jumped in the truck go to raise it and it went up about 3' and stopped. now all the functions are very i mean very slow, and the pump is wining and sounds like it is spinning very fast?
  2. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

If the electric motor sounds good and doesn't look to be burnt up I'd say the actual gear pump inside the reservoir was worn out. Maybe the pickup tube is plugged or fell off the gear pump. Either way, you're likely going to have to take the pump off the plow and pull off the reservoir off and have a look inside. Really not that hard to do, just take note of how it all came apart and where each fastener went and you shouldn't have any problems.

With the electric motor spinning fast and the plow going slow that's pretty much the only thing that could be wrong. Being 8-9 years old I wouldn't be surprised if it was the gear pump assembly needed replaced.
  3. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

If the plow is moving very slow, it could be as simple as the screen inside the motor is plugged. This happened to me while plowing last year. The plow was in turlte speed and would not move very fast, i pulled the top off of the motor and the screen inside was caked with grime. Cleaned the screen and it worked just fine.
  4. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

the fact that your dash light came on makes me think electrical. Check your main plow harness (large black and red plug) both truck and plow side. Look for damage such as corrosion or melted plastic from a bad connection. Also, look where the wires go into the back of the plug. I have seen them loosen from the backside. Overtime a poor connection will beat the hell out of your motor.