1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount won't raise properly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by techteacher, Feb 8, 2011.

1. techteacher

techteacher Junior Member

I have been plowing for four years with with my ultra mount and this year it has been acting funny. it has to be over full of fluid to raise or turn. any ideas why that would be. I am filling it on the back were there is a square headed bolt that is the correct place I think.
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

On some of the old ultramounts the pick up filter falls off. If it does this it can't pick up the fluid at the proper level, if you overfill it the it can get fluid. Found this out on my dads old ultramount pro. They sold an update kit, it came with a bracket to hold the filter in.

This is my best guess. If you want to check take the reservoir off. If that is the problem it will be laying in the bottom.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The tube might of fell off...
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Drain the fluid then remove the four 1/4 in screws that hold the reservoir on. Pull the reservoir off, it takes a tug as it is held and sealed by a big o-ring. Have a look at the bottlm of the pump where you will see two or three little screens. The big one is the sump pickup, that is the one that is either rotated up or has fallen right off. It is only held in by friction on a little o-ring. Put it back in place and then give it a tap at the base with a soft hammer (don't break it its only plastic) to make sure the o-ring is pushed into the hole. The others smaller screens are return oil diffusers. While you are in there have a look at your magnet and clean it off. It will normally be covered with metallic mud but watch for metal chuncks. That would be a sign of something bad.