1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount wont angle right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowbuster1, Feb 23, 2013.

1. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I have a 8' pro plow ultra mount on a 05 Ford f250 diesel. I ran it the last two days and it worked great. Went out today and it won't angle to the right. Sometimes it will work but it is really slow. It goes up and down fine and when it does go right it angles back to the left fine. Any suggestions.

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

S2 or S3 cartridge, or the coil that operates it. I'm sure others will chime in about ground, controller, etc.

I'm saying this from experience, as it doesn't take much contamination to plug a valve orifice, and although you can quickly check for faulty grounds or a bad controller, you can just as quickly (5-10 minutes) remove a cartridge and test it.

3. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok thanks I will check that out in the mourning.

4. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I think I found the problem. I'm sure it isn't suppose to look like this. [​IMG]

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

What's the issue? Is the spool broken?

6. johnhenry1933

Yeah, that's sheared off. Well, they're only $50 per, and you got right to the problem. :salute:

7. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I went to take it out and it came out in three pieces.

8. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Yep good call on the valve johnhenry1933. I will pick one up tomorrow and should be good to go. Thanks

9. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok I put a new s3 cartridge in and it all works, but if I do any angling in the up position to get it to go down I have to hit it up first. When I do that it jumps to the left a little. I can also push my blade to the right by hand like it don't have any pressure on it. A little more help please.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

going to ask if you looked all around inside the valve body???
    if you can push the blade by hand,,,,either the valve is hanging open or your relief valve if being held open

11. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Yeah checked it out didnt see nothing out place. I replaced s1 and s3 ao i have s2 on the way then its valve bidy dismantling i guess,unless there is something you guys can think of. I been running ATF in it should i switch that to low temp fluid. Could that be a problem

12. johnhenry1933

ATF shouldn't be a problem. Only when it's really cold, it will coagulate, making your plow move slowly. Provided your ram isn't defective (packing nut too tight, hose or fitting clogged), it may be time to dismantle the manifold and give it a thorough cleaning. I just had a similar problem with one of my plows. After twice cleaning the filter and reservoir and changing most of the fluid, I keep getting debris in the fluid (in otherwise virgin fluid). It doesn't take much to clog a valve. Don't forget, you have not only the S1, S2 and S3 valves, but also the poppet valve and cushion valve.

I cannot remove the crossover relief w/o placing the manifold on the bench. So, I will now:
    1: dismantle the manifold;
    2: flush and clean the reservoir and filter;
    3: flush and clean the rams; and,
    4: dismantle the manifold completely, flush and clean and replace any necessary parts (poppet valves, cushion valve, S1, S2 and S3 valves.

I have come to the resolution after twice cleaning, the debris is probably coming from the rams. When the plow hits the snow pile at the end of a plow, even if hit lightly, the blade doesn't move...for a reason: the crossover valve is opening, relieving the pressure...as it should. The problem is, if there is debris in the rams, it can find its' way back up to the system. I have never flushed the rams, and I believe debris is now [occasionally] working its' way up into the manifold and reservoir. The good news is, this ought to take care of the system for five or more years, other than your normal annual fluid replacement, and occasional parts replacement (coil or cartridge).