1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount wiring question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fishhd, Dec 19, 2011.

1. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

Ya, I did it.... bought a cheap-o repair kit for the harness, both the plow side and truck side (2003 F-250) plow side has 9 wires, truck side 11 wires, leaving 2 blk/or extra wires with no corresponding colors on the plow side. I also have a blue and orange on the truck side and a blue and yellow on the plow side.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Should have left it alone, but in to deep now. Had a problem with the high beams now I have nothing.:mad:

Thanks

Bill

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

do the 2 harness fit together??? from what i tried, the 9 and 11 pins wont even hook up together. double check that first.

3. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

I had the factory 11 pin. I bought a 9 pin, splice in, repair kit, should work as the plow side has only 9 wires but I don't know where the black and orange splice in or if there is wires not used in the 11 pin side? Not an electrician. Obviously.:confused:

Thought maybe some one else has tried a 9 pin repair kit?

I think I am missing a ground loop or something?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. dieselss

WOAH the 9 pin and 11 pin ARE NOT COMPATABLE the 9 pin has 2 big pins and the 11 does not. I just went through this last week.

5. dieselss

unless your saying that your changing form a 11 to a 9 then I got it. did you ck westerns website for the wiring diag??? but the bk/og is a gnd.

6. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

dieselss, yes I am using both sides of a 9 pin repair kit. I found two different diagrams, but can't seem to make a sense of any of it. I have a little time to play with it and if all else fails, I saved the old ends to re-splice in. I see the blk/or are grounds I just need to know what wires they correspond with on the plow side harness that has no blk/or wire. I am thinking it's the black wire. Doing some continuity test today.

7. dieselss

Bk wire is the headlights. Not gnd. Is it the older retangular western lights?

8. dieselss

Do you have cam phone? Do you get pic txts? I got a set of 9 pin lights apart right now. I can shoot you a pic of the light internals.

9. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

yes, rectangular lights. The wire colors that match up on the truck and plow are.
    white
    wh/yellow
    grey
    blk
    blk/white
    brown
    purple
    light green
    And here's where it's screwy, light blue/orange truck side and light blue/white plow side.
    2 blk/orange truck side. no blk/orange plow side.

10. dieselss

Ok take the lights apart and see what color is inside the lights, that will tell you all

11. dieselss

9 pin plow side wiring
    Bk/og gnd
    Bwn parking
    Ppl right turn
    Grey left turn
    Bk low beam
    Wht high beam
    Blue, green and wht/yel are for coils

12. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

So the 1 wire that has no place is the Black/White one

This blk/wh wire is in both harnesses, but on the plow side there is no black/orange and 2 blk/or on the truck side.

Hmmmmm, the little wire coming on the negative terminal on the motor is blk/wh. and it goes to the coil box

13. dieselss

Then the bk/wht is your gnd. The bk/og should take its place

14. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

all set, hooked the 2 blk/orn on the truck side together and good to go. turn still not working but thats ok for now, think it might just be the bulbs.

15. dieselss

Ok that's am easy check. Test light and a Philips. Usually the sockets rust out. Dremal with the small sand paper. Grease and should be good to go