1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount upper lift frame

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowish10, Mar 27, 2014.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been doing some research, I have a 08 ultra mount pro plus, its starting to crack on the driver and passenger side upper lift frame where the bolts connected. Looking to see which way is better to weld a plate on the two side or the front and the back?? Somewhere over$230 for a new lift frame.

photo (20).jpg

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When the bolts tighten the sides need to swell. Put a reinforcing plate on the front and back but not the sides.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

When I fixed mine and my dads, I wrapped a piece of 1/4 flat bar all the way around the tube, kinda like on a truck's receiver hitch how the tube is doubled up at the end. welded the top all the way around and both have been great since I fixed them.

4. snowish10

so what did you take the bolts off or just put the bolts thru the plate as well??

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I drilled two holes first lined the holes up tacked the plate on heated it bent it heated it bent drilled the holes through. One more heat and bend. Also I welded the splice where it came around.

6. snowish10

ahh okay that make sense. did you just get a flat bar as wide as the tower or little bit smaller?

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I can't quite remember it was quite a few years ago. I just used what was in the shop. Think two or three inches. Sorry I was thinking of this more I believe I only drilled one hole. It was about two feet long I bent it around tacked it and cut the excess off.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Here is what happens when you don't notice the cracks. I suspect this was aggravated by partially seized pivot bar pins. Stand by for after repair pics.

tower.jpg

9. snowish10

yikesss, look up the thread about adding grease fittings to the pins. Mine are kinda seized when i bought mine, but it was cuz it wasnt used alot. Fyi I had to drill mine out so be prepared.