1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount stopped working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselboy01, Jan 27, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Last night my ultra mount stopped working. Motor runs, plow does nothing. Checked fluid level and it was good. I noticed fluid running down the lift ram so the seals are leaking on that. Nothing bad, but the ram was wet. I figured it got water in through the lift ram and the pump froze. I got the plow to raise about 3" so I brought it home. I took a small torch to the pump res for a few min and the plow moved a little better.

This morning I drained the fluid, added new fluid and tightened the packing nut on the lift ram a little. I'm still having the same problem. Motor runs plow does nothing. Even after more heating by torch and heat gun the plow does nothing. I thought the hoses might have water/ice in them so I cracked the lift hose and a frothy fluid mix came out. I don't know what that means. How is air getting in the fluid? Could my pump be dieing?

It's also -8 with a WC of -20ish I do not have a warm place to work on this so I can't let the plow thaw out anywhere

Any and all help is much appreciated, I need to get this going asap, I'm already down one truck.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Pull the reservoir off and check pick up tube.

3. dieselboy01

That's my next move, I picked up a filter kit for it so I'm changing all of that.

4. dieselboy01

You guessed right!! filter and pick up tube fell off! Must be a common problem because the new pick up tube needs to tapped in and the kit comes with the bracket to help hold the tube.

It's up and running again!

Thanks for the help Kimber!!!

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

It was a common problem for the early insta act style pumps. Some dealers would install the upgrade for free.