1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount randomly turns off on its own

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fx4steve, Jan 1, 2014.

1. fx4steve

fx4steve Junior Member
    from 44035

I have a Ultra mount Poly on my 2006 F150. Plow was purchased new 4 years ago and was installed by the dealer. I have changed the fluid at the end of every season. Suddenly this year the Plow randomly turns off on its own frequently while I am plowing. Everything works perfectly just as it should for the first hour or so. Then the Plow begins to turn off randomly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean by turns off? quits working? Control turns off?

3. fx4steve

fx4steve Junior Member
    from 44035

The hand held remote inside the cab shuts off. I press the power button and it returns to operation. It seems like once the truck has been running for a while it starts to act up. If I get on highway and drive 10 minutes or so it stops untill truck gets hot again.

4. snowpusher04

snowpusher04 Junior Member
    from midwest

Handheld controller shutting off

I am having the same problem. Mine is on a 2yr old MVP. It works fine for the most part, then , all of a sudden it shuts off. I know there is a ''normal'' timed out feature that is built into the unit (after 20 mins of non use) but this happens several time while using all angles in the middle of plowing. Will see if we get someone to help out our issue.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would suggest trying another control.

6. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

We have a 2006 Ultra mount/pro-plus 8 that we have replaced a controller on... had the same issue as you... solved our problems and has been fine since.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Certainly could b controller because the wires break inside the curly cable right at the end of the black plastic strain relief. Easy to try another if u have one. Another common cause is a loose ignition / accessory wire. This is a small red wire that comes out of the controller harness just a foot or two back from the controller plug under the dash. This wire must be connected to a good 12 v switched power source. Most people connect them to a fuse tap in the fuse box. Often they come loose and loose power momentarily. This has the same effect as turning off the ignition. Still my money is on the hand held controller.

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

mine did that last night, accept it was my finger that did it, didnt know it till i got home, did you know the controls can be turned off?

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah its got an off switch and an owners manual.that explains it all.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There r two power control features u need to know. Of course most people who use a plow know about the red button on the controller because u must press that button to activate (or shut off) the plow. The second control is the plow presence circuit. The plow must b plugged in and the ignition must b on. When these requirements r fulfilled the backlight in the controller face lights up. This backlight is an important diagnostic feature. If the plow just goes off like when it times out that's one thing but if the backlight flickers on and off its a whole different issue.

11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

mine does the same exact thing I think my controller is bad

12. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Check and clean the confections, use dielectric grease also.

13. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I would start there as well. I have had to replace that wire in 2 controllers. about $30.00 new. Also make sure your wires going to the plow are tight, had that be a problem as well:mechanic: