1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Plowin Dodge, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

was wondering how much side to side movement at pivot pins was to much. pro plus straight blade thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would venture to say tip to tip should be four inches

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You want some play, how much slop do you have?
    Are you sure it's not from the pivot bolt?

4. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

about 3/4 of an inch

5. dieselss

From the pins in the holes.total? Might be a tad excessive. But without seeing it it's hard to say. Remember you want some movement in the pins. There not.supposed to be a press fit

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

7. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

not the center pi its the two on the pivot bar. the big center bolts in front and back are fine very little movement.i know that we need some slop but I don't remember how much it went from side to side

8. dieselss

Yes I know the pins. Unless you get a video up, or really detailed pics no way to say yes or no. However if you feel it's time much then replace the pins. Do you have the grease fittings in the pivot bar?

9. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

cant send pic from work computer. I do have grease fittings :mechanic

10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I would venture to say that 4 inches tip to tip won't let you get any sloppy again!! Lmao!! Sorry Pat couldn't help myself

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Old plows get sloppier with age. Better than seizing. If you are concerned you can replace the swivel bar and the pins to make it like new again. As said above its really a judgment call.

12. Casper1

Casper1 Member

I bought a 10 yr old county lot truck. It only had 16k miles over ten years and other than runs to the salt bin and what ever time spent applying salt, they were all plow miles. The place I picked it up was 1/2 mile from a Western dealer and since I had no clue what was acceptable, I stopped in. The owner looked everything over and pointed out a few things. He said 3-4" inches of verticle play was OK for the age, he likes to see 1-2". I am a machinist and have a full shop at my home. I'm going to make and install an Oilite bushing this summer since it seems to be getting a bit more loose. The other thing to look at is the weld around the horizontal, center bolt that joins the subframe to A frame (I'm sure my terminology is wrong). Mine needed welded. That was the only thing I had to do besides touch up some rust spots.

13. dieselss

Where are you saying the 4" on play is?
    How are you measureing this

14. Casper1

Casper1 Member

Read through the thread. Great tutorial. I wish I had the patience to do step by step stuff like that. I usually think about it half way through. I've been wanting to do an 80% AR lower tutorial for a few years. While I've finished several, pics or video just haven't happened.

15. Casper1

Casper1 Member

On mine? The guy had me raise the plow, he put a tape on the ground at the end of the cutting edge and pushed up and down. He was measuring the vertical travel of the cutting edge.

16. dieselss

So did he lock the pivot bar then?

17. Casper1

Casper1 Member

I don't think so, all I did was what I described above. He was standing at the end of the plow. He did nothing near the center.

I just did a quick Google. I see what you mean and he did say there was 4" of play before what is called the pivot bar moved. I didn't know what it was called until now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  18. dieselss

Without knowing which style of ultramount, and approx year I can't say. However how do you know it's not the center bolt on the aframe?
    There was talk about the pins awhile ago, and as was already said, you want play in them. And if the pivot bar doesn't have the grease fittings add them.

19. Casper1

Casper1 Member

I guess I need a nomenclature lesson. I think my issue is the main A frame bolt. My plow was bought and installed when the county bought the truck in 2006. It is a 7.5' straight plow with an Ultra Mount. I have all service records and date of in service stuff. The Job and Family Services Dept gets a grant every 10 yrs and they buy a truck and plow just for their lot. Gov efficiency at its finest.

The lady in charge of disposal of surplus equipment was also the road Dept manager. She didn't understand why JFS didn't have the existing county trucks clear their lot. It worked out for me in this case though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  20. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

I know the tip to tip Is ok, I wanted to know about the side to side.