1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by lowrider57, Nov 17, 2012.

1. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

I have a 2 yr old Western Pro plow with ultra mount that I had installed when I bought it 2 yrs ago,Last yr I started having trouble getting plow off and on,so this yr I pulled out plow and it still will not engage or disengage with out alot of pushing and pulling and getting out a floor jack,Any ideas on why it will not engage or disengage like it did when I bought it? Also any Western mechanics near Orland Park looking for work?
  2. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I went throught the same thing when I got my plow. The trick given to me in this thread works quite well... I no longer have any problems installing or removing the plow.
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

There's some good advice in that thread. :D
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Having read that thread I see there is one important point missing and that is the mount width adjustment. Have a look at page 9 of this link: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/68201.04_030110.pdf Of course your mount is probably different but the principal is the same.

When I install a plow mount I secure everything loosely and then place a piece of wood between the insides of the recievers precut to set the distance to 30 and 7/16" like the picture shows. (Read your specific mount instruction to verify that distance) Using my wooden guide I either spread or retract the mounts before tightening the bolts using a threaded rod or a porta-power jack. Once the wood is holding the mount in the correct range you tighten the bolts, in the sequence specified, and then install and tighten the crossbrace, if it has one, and finally remove the wooden gauge.

After the mount is on I take an old lower lift frame assembly (the part that goes into the recievers when you mount) and verify that it goes in and out freely. Very often when I get this complaint I will try this and the lift frame won't go in and out but you can see if the mounts are too close or too far apart. This is either from carless installation or from damage to the front end.

I have a wide-out myself and I don't do anything except drop my landing gear, stomp the feet down and unplug the cables. I never put the plow in float or push anything around, just back up & out. I like the chain to stay taunt so it doesn't shift when I pull out. A loose chain will allow the horns to drop as the headlights fall backwards!

GMs can be a problem because the classic mount has no crossbar and they can easily shift especially if your bolts aren't real tight. It is important to do this adjustment right at installation because there are metal tabs that actually bend when you tighten the bolts to the frame. You must hold the mounts in the right place and then tighten the bolts against that so the tabs bend in the right direction. Shifting them after they have been tightened can be a stuggle but not impossible.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

I would like to thank you all,,plow now comes off and on easily..
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Aren't you going to tell us what finally resolved this issue? Don't leave us hanging!