1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount pump has pressure it tank

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by to_buy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I have never seen this, when I lower my Ultra Mount to check the fluid there is always pressure inside when I remove the fill plug. The driver says the fluid keeps leaking out, maybe from the pressure. Anyone ever here of this? I have seen this with Meyers, but never western.
    Thank Richard Tobias
    Either send me some help here or
    to_buy@yahoo.com (Western) in the subject line please

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

when you pull the fill plug, is it foamy???

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

no foam just pressure.If I don't crack it slow I get a bath of fluid. Just tried it again and removed the vent first and there was pressure.

4. dieselss

Only thing i could say. Take the vent off, and blow through it. The try and suck on it. From what i read its only like a 5psi vent. Fill back up go through the motions, take fill plug back off. Add if necessary. Go through motions again. Take filler off again and just let it sit for awhile. Could just be air in the system somewhere??? Make sure to lower lift ram when checking and filling as well.

5. Head1

Head1 Junior Member

Possibly the tank is overfilled and builds pressure when ram is lowered.
    Remove fill bolt, lower ram completely, check fluid level.
    Tank should be full only when ram is lowered.

6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It should hold pressure thought I had a problem called the dealer they assured me it was fine. I was still weary called another dealer they said the same thing. The reason for it is when the pressure builds it holds some so when the pressure releases it doesn't have to draw in so much outside air causing moisture inside.

7. dieselss

hey tony send a pm to mishnick....to me that doesnt sound right. i've done a few ultra's and never have they spit fluid out on me....only times are went i'm changing the fluid, and theres air. to me it dont sound right.

8. dieselss

but why are you spitting out fluid then??? still not happy with the dealer answer. but thats me

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Mine will spit out fluid too. The ultramounts had two breathers on them the early ones had a metal cap and the newer ones had a plastic cap that holds pressure I believe I was told 6lbs. Sure enough I looked at my dads and uncles which were both the relay style ultramounts and they both had metal breathers on them. Before you check the fluid when you are using it crack the breather and then open the fill/check plug.

If you have the plastic breather next time you are by your plow pull it off and try to blow through it, it will be very hard to do it.

10. dieselss

But again why do u spit out fluid? None of our ultras spit fluid ever. Yes your right about the vent, 5psi. Still makes no sence. Hummmmm still thinking ????

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If the fluid is covering the entire fill whole and the reservoir has pressure in it, when you open the fill the pressure is going to come out. Therefore the fluid will come out until there is no pressure or the fluid level drops so the air can get out.

Kinda like an air compressor drain the air pressure forces the water out through the drain until there is no more water left and then the air will come through.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tony is exactly right, that is how the new gray plastic works.

One thing DD has truly improved.....

13. dieselss

isnt your fill at an angle?? just fill to the bottom of the first few threads.
    plastic reservoir ? really. i did not know this

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

15. dieselss

yea,,,i just wasnt sure thats what what was the "plastic" that was being talked about

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You guys are right about the pressure in the reservoir. The gray plastic caps are like radiator caps in that they hold pressure. Western says it's supposed to be 5 psi but could be higher. When I test a cap I try to blow through them, if I can then they are no good. This pressure is "a good thing" and is normal. Leaking is NOT normal. Keep in mind that plow fluid is highly modified in order to give it the stable viscosity over wide temperature ranges. This chemical modification (cooking) makes it behave like a "desecant" (absorbs moisture). That is to say that it sucks water out of the air. So.... obviously water in the oil of a snow plow is not a good thing because typically snow plows generally work in sub freezing temperatures. To make a long story short, the pressure cap is designed to keep moisture out of the reservoir. When you open the cap, depending on the position of the rams, there may or may not be pressure. However, after you close the reservoir by replacing the grey vent cap, it will build up to five pounds pressure the first time you retract a cylinder. The first time you lift the plow the fluid level will drop and air will be allowed in but it will not be allowed out unless it exceeds five psi. In effect, after this first breath of air coming in the reservoir behaves like a bladder, the air inside just gets compressed and decompressed over and over each time the rams extend and retract. This is why it is so important not to replace the grey vent cap with a simple unrestricted mushroom vent like what is used on vehicle gear boxes.

With that all said, the leak is not correct. Naturally, if there is higher pressure inside the reservoir than atmospheric outside then fluid will leak out. Just fix the leak and leave the pressure.

17. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

wow great answer. Thanks for the help