1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount problems!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nitroharley, Dec 5, 2007.

1. nitroharley

nitroharley Junior Member
    from chicago

hello, new to the forum! I am a 41 year old mechanic and I'm no hack! I do everything nice and proper! last fall a good customer of mine bought a couple of plows to which I installed, I have messed with plows in the past but these were my first all new installs. They went smooth and without incident. the western ultra mount went on a 91 ford super duty 7.3 diesel stake bed with a zf 5 speed. they used it to plow all last year until the last snow fall and they blew second and reverse out. they brought the truck to me and said fix it, take your time, don't need it till next year, oh yea and by the way the plow don't do anything anymore and is stuck angled to the right. I repaired the trans and the truck sat, totally forgot about the plow problem! well, now the snow has hit and they hooked the plow back up and it apparently didn't fix itself! so with that explained, anybody got an idea whats up with this thing? the solenoids are clicking and the pump runs, fluid is to the top of the treads and I used nothing but the proper western fluid. I went over the wiring and all is good including the fuses. is there a shear pin or something in the pump that could have snapped? the pump spins like no tomorrow and the plow just stays to the right. any help would be most appreciated.

2. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

The solenoids may be clicking, but the valves thay open might be froze up. Might want to check them.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you say that you can "hear the solenoids" clicking, do you mean the control valve solenoids on the valve body, or the motor solenoid that applies power to the motor?

It's stuck to the right but will it raise and lower?

4. Ifrit

Ifrit Junior Member

I had a similar problem and it turned out the control was bad, I replaced it with a new remote and all is well.xysport

5. nitroharley

nitroharley Junior Member
    from chicago

good suggestions but! I decided to just dive right in and start testing things, turned out I had no power going to the up solenoid on the pump! this for some reason or another let only the left ram receive pressure no matter what you pressed on the controller making the plow angle right! so! I traced the wire with the help of my manual and figured out that the monkey they had driving it musta tried to go for a walk with the controller in his hand resulting in the blue wire pulling out of the terminal plug! :drinkup: thanks fer yer help and I hope someone else benefits from this!!! :nod:

6. timberjack

timberjack Member

Glad you found your problem. For future reference, and for anyone else, Western has a very good "mechanic's guide" available on their website. Has a very good troubleshooting section, that's helped me out.

http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp?cat=247