1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount pro plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Marty_J, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Marty_J

Marty_J Junior Member

I am having a problem with driving onto the plow. It drives on half way then the plow just keeps pushing away. The first two seasons were fine, but I fought this all last season, and today just remembered. Does anybody know if there is something I should adjust? Thanks Marty.......
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If this is an ultra-mount you can adjust the distance between your two recievers. Most mounts have a brace going from one side to the other. Figure out if they are too far apart or too close, then loosen the four bolts on that cross brace, move them apart or together a bit (if you have the brace) and then retighten the four bolts. A lot of Chevy mounts do not have the brace making it a bit more difficult to adjust, you have to loosen all the bolts on the mounts and then bend out the two tabs that go from the mount up to the front most end of the frame. After you bend them away from the fram a bit move the mount out or in and then retighten all the bolts starting from the rear of the mount working your way to the front tightening the bolts on those front tabs last. When I install mounts I have a wooden gauges cut to specific lengths that I place between the mounts before I tighten them, this ensures they are at just the right width to make mounting easy.
  3. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

Have you changed anything truckside like suspension, lift kit, tire size...configuration height might be a problem. Are the "forks" on the plow frame level with the ground?
  4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I have the same issue with my 9' ultra mount. The "brace" between my 2 truckside recievers is welded. is this the brace that has the western logo on it? ive been having trouble getting the plow on and off, i was wondering if it also has to do with the 2 stands on either side of the plow that adjust it for height?
  5. mishnick

The brace that I am talking about should not be welded. The tabs on each side that it bolts to are welded to the actual mount but there should be two bolts on each side as well. The landing legs could also be a problem if they are not set correctly. When you drop the mounting locks and the landing legs are fully retracted you should have and inch between the bottom of the legs and the ground. If not you need to drive out the pins and set them a bit higher. Chevs are very low trucks so sometimes, especially if they have tired front ends, even the last pin hole in the landing leg is too low.
  6. mishnick

7. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Yea thats the brace I was thinking of. I believe mine is welded on my ram 3500. Ill double check though.
  8. gas man

gas man Junior Member

I had the same problem. What I do is when unhooking the plow I rock the headgear towards the truck and push the legs down. This gets it to set up a lil higher and I am now able to drive right into it with no probs.
  9. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I try and do the same thing. I usually have to unhook the chain to ge the plow on and off.

Mishnick, your right the tab with the holes is whats welded. when i got my truck a year ago the weld for the tab was actually broken, i dont know who the hell that happens but someone must have smacked something pretty good before i had the truck. anyway when i look at the recievers the passenger side seems to be turned into the truck alittle. how do you go about bending these tabs back into place?
  10. ff1241

ff1241 Member

Make sure your reciver is on right. The first year I had mine I didn't put it back on right and couldnt get my plow on.
  11. mishnick

Vscapes... what kind of truck do you have? If you can tell me the year and model I can have a look at the mount type and give you better instructions on how to adjust / reposition the tabs.
  12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

2007 Ram 3500 4x4 regular cab mason dump hemi.
  13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I had the same problem once my plow aged. I read it on here and it was probably the best advice I have gotten. First put the controller in float and push the lift ram down. Next when you get out to unhook the plow and step on the stands to push them to the ground push the light bar towards the hood of your truck. Notice how the stand isn't tight to the ground, step on it again. Do the same thing on the other side. This will take more weight off of the tabs and put more weight on the stands making it slide easier. I think it happens once the plow ages because the metal gets rusty. It will slide easier when painted then rusty. Something else to look at.
  14. mishnick

Vscape... here is a link to the mount you should have on your Dodge. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/29096.02_101509.pdf
    It does have the brace between and can be adjusted a bit but it is not easy. Dodges are the most difficult trucks to install mounts on because of the way the bumpers are fastened to the truck, especially the diesels. All too often when people bring trucks for plows they are old and have been "well used." The problems arrises when the front end of the frame is bent a bit because the distance between the mounts is totally dependant on the frame being straight. All too often we have to use a hydraulic frame spreader to make them fit.You need to measure the distance between the mounts and see if it is far out, your frame may be twisted a bit. I don't know what else to tell you, if you had a ford or a chev there are numerous tricks you can apply but not on a dodge. You need to have a real good close look at the horns when the plow is mounted and see where it is binding to determine what needs to be shifted exactly. They recievers may be too far, too close or not parallel with each other (all indicating twisted frame) That's not unusual considering the forces being applied by the act of plowing.
  15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

you guys just need to he plow foot height. the plow will slide right in if the height is correct
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

When you taking it off
    Put in float
    Grab the chain make it loose
    Drop the jacks down unplug power
    Push the leg till it hits the ground If dont then there is your problem need to adjust the leg so will hit the ground

If this doesnt fix it then its you truck mount you might need raise or lower your brackets
  17. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Thanks. Im going to first try and adjust the plow stands, i believe that might be the culprit, the plow not sitting high enough. I also have a feeling my recievers did move alittle because my bumper doesnt sit staright, it sags down alittle. I know its a typical problem with the rams throughout the years.
    Thanks for the help mishnick.