1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount plow won't work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dchoran, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dchoran

dchoran Junior Member

Just got my used plow mounted. It has a 4 port 3 plug iso module. When I hook up the cables the lights switch over, so that works right. When I turn on the hand held control the power light comes on, but when I try to raise or angle the blade the control clicks and the power light goes out. The motor relay clicks and the blade moves very little (and I mean very little)and then stops. I haven't had time to check anything. I don't know exactly where to start. Can the motor relay be wired wrong? I wired it like the instructions, but they don't specify where the little wires go, just one on each little terminal. Could there be water in the oil and the pump is frozen? That is something I just thought of. Thanks for any ideas. Pat

2. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Might be...are you blowing any fuses? It doesn't sound right that the power is shutting off when you hit the buttons...go on western plows.com and you can see where everything goes. The controller will click that's normal, but shouldn't shut off..there is a small ground wire that goes to the battery too and you have a black and orange wire out on the plow..if those are hooked up then I'd say the small wires on the solenoid... but check out the website first. Also, do you have an inline fuse for you controller?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the power wire you have fused under the dash

4. dchoran

dchoran Junior Member

upplowin
    I am not blowing any fuses. The only power light that goes out is on the handheld controller. I will have to check all my connections tomorrow and make sure they are all to the right place. Thanks for your ideas.

5. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Sounds like a ground issue

6. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Did you figure it out? I looked at my plow, same as yours. Which solenoid do you have? The tower type or the round continuous duty one? If it doesn't specify where the small wires go, then it doesn't matter what side their on. For the big wires, it should say (BAT) where the positive cable comes from the battery and hooks to the solenoid...the other big positive cable that goes to your plow goes on the other big post on solenoid, but don't matter which side the small ones go on. I just replaced mine, because my circuit board fryed on me...my plow motor wanted to stay on when you press a button and I replaced my solenoid too. Thinking on this a little more, I agree with Mustang on it likely is a ground, either a poor ground or an open ground. You can clean your circuit board too might help but be careful, don't touch with fingers, just by the sides of it...you could short it out. Use CRC electric cleaner and let it air dry, do it a couple of times if needed, bring inside to do it...that is if you think it might be controller..99% of the time though its a wiring issue..so make sure all grounds are connected good, and are free of any corrosion, and check your connections out front of truck good too...clean good. I've had to replaced my PWR harness because it was warn and wouldn't make good contact...dirty/loose connection, or ground most likely.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. dchoran

dchoran Junior Member

I am going to try a new solenoid. When I bought the plow it had a very old solenoid. I bought a new one, but it wasn't exactly the same. I've got the round solenoid with 4 terminals. Anyhow I am getting the same solenoid that was on it when I bought it. When I push the up button the solenoid clicks and the power light goes out on the controller. I ran a jumper to the positive terminal on the pump and it runs. I pushed the up button and the plow goes up. I have checked out my grounds and other hookups and I can't find anything wrong. It sure seems like it is a ground but I will see what happens with the new solenoid. Thanks for your help.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

All your solenoid does is transmit pwr to the plow. It gets a signal from the clicker. Contacts close and electricity flows across a metal disc from one post to another

9. dchoran

dchoran Junior Member

Well once again the old adage check the simple stuff comes back to bite me. After taking the controller apart and checking the wires which were all good I was standing and looking at it. I have checked all my wiring and greased all my connections, when I remembered something I had read on this site. I unplugged my main power cord and spread both the terminals apart and plugged it back in. Naturally it worked. So all's well that ends well. I want to thank again all who gave me ideas to check. Not sure if it was the positive or ground but it doesn't matter. Just got done plowing my driveway and it works great. Thanks again. Pat