1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount pictures on GMC (2005 style), only

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dlstelma, Sep 25, 2011.

1. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

did a search but haven't been able to find any pictures of this mount on the k2500 gmc truck, only (the chevy's have a different bumper). do you have to cut the bumper for mounting clearance? i'm hearing yes and no answers. pictures are appreciated....thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

In all the time I have installed plows I have never actually needed to cut the bumber. It's the air dam below the bumber that has to be notched and that is required on most every vehicle. When people don't want to cut their air dam I just remove the whole plastic piece. Then when they want to take the plow off we put the dam back on. Sorry I have no photos but I can tell you that the notches are about six inches wide and go from the bottom of the air dam all the way up until you hit bumber metal. One notch for each reciever.

3. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

a picture of the front bumper.....i've seen the plastic removed from a chevy (because it's different) but not on a gmc.

[​IMG]

4. mishnick

If this is the truck you are talking about I can tell you that you will need to trim the air dam. The mount and recievers butt right up against the bottom of the frame so since you can't see the frame below the air dam it will have to be cut.

5. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

This is on my 05' Sierra 1500

2011-09-25_17.16.20.jpg

6. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

i wonder if the 1/2 ton frames are different than 3/4 tons when referring to the bumper-frame relationship/ location. i visited the western dealer this afternoon and they said, "no cutting required. the brackets will be butted up to the bumper, but no trimming will be needed." i scheduled an install later in the week.

7. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Run the match thing on westerns website. When i put my truck info in the notes it says that bumper notching is required.

8. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

just curious, what's the distance from the ground to the top of the bracket/mount measure on your 1/2 ton?

9. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

20 1/2" from ground to bottom of truck frame. 17 1/2" from ground to the top of the plow mount that starts to stick out.

10. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Sorry 17 1/2" from the ground to the bottom of the.mount where the guides slide in at. 20 1/2" from.ground to truck frame. If that.makes anymore sense. Lol

11. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

thanks. that is close to what my 98 gmc measures.

12. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

No problem. I also have my torsion bars cranked up. So that added an inch or so

13. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

there must be a spacer or modified mount that's available to drop it just below the bumper......i don't see it working any other way.

14. firefighter4418

firefighter4418 Junior Member

2004 gmc 2500 hd

heres a pic of myu 2004 gmc 2500 hd dont think there any diffrence in the 2004 and 2005 air dams

100_6010.JPG

15. mishnick

Looking at that photo brings back some memories of similar vehicles. I believe it may be possible to just push the air dam up and squeeze the mounts on without cutting them but over time I expect this would lead to permanent deformation of the plastic.

16. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

yes, it does look like it would fit without trimming.....just barely, though. it looks like it would deform but i wonder how much. maybe the bottom flange could be cut out (only) for less deformation.

17. mishnick

You could trim the lip off the bottom but that would take some strength away from it. No matter what you do I am afraid there will be some irriversable mutilation to whatever you leave on with the mount. Perhaps you could just remove the original air dam and put on a used one from a scrap yard truck. That way you could put the original back on when the plow mount comes off? Even a new, unpainted plastic piece probably wouldn't cost too much. On my Ford I took the dam off but it looked ugly so I ended up trimming it. Oh the sacrifices we make to have a plow.....

18. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

I have an '07 Classic which is the same as the '05. I DID NOT have to make the extreme cuts shown above. There is the main bumper part, and some trucks have a small black piece under the main bumper, about 2" in height. If your truck has that part, it either needs to come off or you will need to cut into that significantly. As for the main bumper, the mounts fit on my truck, but pushed the main bumper up. There is a small lip on the bottom of the main bumper, about 1/2" in height. I just notched that with a dremel, and the mounts fit right in there perfectly. I used the previous pic in this thread to show where I notched.

gmcfront2.jpg

19. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

There are 3 revisions on the mounts for these GM trucks. Which do you have?

20. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

I don't have a mount, yet. Do you have a picture of your setup?