1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount MVP Plus V Plow Issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by slee, Jan 1, 2012.

1. slee

slee Junior Member

The plow only clicks when I try to move the bade any any direction, but then sometimes moves and stops working again. New motor last year and fluid is good. I have power to the controller.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Pull the shrowd off the pump assembly and put a test light on the motor terminals, if it lights up every time you hear the click then you have another bumb motor. But if the light doesn't come on with each time the relay clicks then you probably have a bad relay. The relay is right there by the motor terminals.

3. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

try the solenoid .Pop cover off on pump and jump it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. slee

slee Junior Member

Thanks mishnick for the info. this is the first time I have posted. I am looking a diagram of my hydraulic unit and I don't see a relay by the motor terminals. Any more info. would be greatly appreciated. By the way its a mvp pro plus v plow.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

to two terminals on the motor

6. mishnick

Here is a link to the MVP mechanic's guide. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/28270.00_070105.pdf The relay for the regular MVP will be under the hood but the tests are still the same. Just have to have a look at the grill plug now because that is possibly the problem. The relay will click even if the main plug is undone. The plow is activated by the headlight plug so if the headlights are plugged in the controller will activate. So, as said before, test for power at the two lugs (easily accesable on the motor). If the test light comes on with every relay click but the motor does NOT turn then you need a motor. If the test light does not come on with the relay move the test light to the relay. If the light comes on with every click of the relay when connected to the relay then you have a problem with your cable or grill plug. If the light fails to come on with every relay click then replace the relay. If it is th relay be sure to put all the small wires back on exactly as they come off. The two small lugs should have one little wire on each, no problem, they can be reversed but the small wire on the + large lug must go back on the same side or your plow will not work. That small wire must be hot all the time to provide power to the controller, isolation module, etc.

7. mishnick

Hmm, MVP Pro Plus???? I know the MVP Plus and the Pro Plus straight blade but not the MVP Pro Plus V??? I think you have a regular MVP V plow. You will have three plugs at the grill, probably a 3 or 4 port isolation module and the relay under the hood that you hear click when you hit up, left or right on the plow.

8. slee

slee Junior Member

Thanks for all the help

9. slee

slee Junior Member

mishnick sorry about the pro plus thing your right it is a mvp pro. I am new to working on plows and I do appreciate all the help. I have not tested the motor yet, but when I unplug the main plug the clicking comes from the motor and pump assembly. I will test the motor tomorrow when I get the shop. Thanks again for all the info. and I will get back to tomorrow on what I find

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If u unplug the main plug, your clicking is coming from the solenoid on the truck. Check that and see if you have pwr coming out of it

11. mishnick

"With the main cable unplugged the clicking comes from the motor / pump assembly"? This seems odd since the relay should be under the hood of the truck. The valves do make a bit of a click but it is so quite you shouldn't hear it. Are you sure the click comes from the motor / pump assembly?

12. slee

slee Junior Member

Thanks bugthug for the info. it turned out to be the solenoid

13. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Your welcome. I used same plow and it did the same thing last winter.