1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount movement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 24, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Is this normal?
  2. birddseedd

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, rust is normal.
  4. birddseedd

I assume that is not showing up as a video then?
  5. bean7654

bean7654 Member

If you are referring to the center pin on the pivot bar moving like that I would say no, at least my ultra mount doesn't do that.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. Normal for a pos
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct sir.
  8. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

The bolt should keep the two square tubes fairly tight, you might have to tighten it up a bit and it might be worn out between the tubes...should move like a scissor action though that's what its supposed to do because they are made to follow the contour of the ground...but should be tighter than yours. I've had to put a new bolt and had to redo the holes in each so don't let it get to far gone, it could be costly. The video worked for me.
  9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

LOL! Looks normal for an old plow.
  10. birddseedd

so i guess ill have to take it appart in the spring. doesnt look like a loose bolt, ill have to lookk at the holes and perhaps get a new bolt.

i plan on fixing this one up sanding and painting. its well worth fixing up. i do need a new mount for it tho. its bent and difficult to hook up to the truck
  11. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Well on the bolt hole that goes through each tube. There is like a pipe that goes through both pieces, and a maybe 1/8 or so lip on one of them. We were further ahead to just cut the old out and re-fabed a new pipe in them and new bolt. Also if its worn is bad as it looks, then look at the ends of the square tube that pivots, its probably worn pretty good to.
  12. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

research ultramount fixes or something along those lines. I can't remeber who but somebody did a full write up on common fixes to beef up the ultramounts. Most of which I did and made the plow much better. And no that is not normal, I would guess the bushing that is in each of the tubes is cracked and loose.
  13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It worries me that you have to ask if that's normal
  14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What exactly did you look at when to look at this truck? Was the price the only thing you were concerned about? A new truck should of meant less problems, this thing seems to have more problems than your dodge.
  15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Put a for sale sign in that clunker and ask for a grand more than you paid for it.
    No man ever lost money by overestimating the intelligence of the American public, some fool will come along and pay $9500 for that.

Take the money, pay back your loan, and then let one of these know-it-alls on Plow Site pick a truck for you in your budget.
  16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Again ???:p :realmad:
  17. birddseedd

chuckles, good one.

I got it appart and the bolt had pulled fully through. i think that someone had worked on this before.

Whats with one of the nutz being welded to the bolt by a machine? doesnt that negate the need for a 2nd nut?

i put a bandaid on it to get me by for a while. welded a plate across the tube and welded the bolt to the plate. the tubes are pretty thin. at some point i want to take it appart, replace the tube, bolt and weld another plate to the front.

although, this seems like putting a band aid on a wound that just cant heal. or the way my buddy put it, putting a band aid on top of a band aid.

being that its so rusted, is it worth the time and effort? only 600 bucks for a new pivot bar and a frame. (more than i paid for my first plow). i don't have 600 bucks atm. but for the moment, it is working. much less movement.

18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Better get a motor and a bearing sleeve kit while you're at it. Because that horrible noise coming from the pump... that ain't normal either.
  19. durk1571

durk1571 Junior Member

Can you run a ultra mount without the filter and just the pick up tube
  20. birddseedd

Yes. Although the filter is only a 10 dollar part and can save your 200 pump if something gets into the system