1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount Modification

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Moonraker, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker Junior Member

I had a Western truck side mount 67981-2 given to me. Problem is I have a 01 Chevy 1500. It looks like it would fit up but without tearing into it I am sure there is a reason why its not made for this vehicle. Does anyone know off the top of their head why it don't fit and/or what modification could be done to make it fit? I work at a welding/fab shop and was considering making my own based off the same concept but the "bossMan" wants me to wrap up my project and get it out of the shop asap. I am hoping a quick fix will be some mods to the 67091-2! Thanks.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Go to quickmatch on the Western website and look up the mount your are supposed to use. Then, if there is only a slight, managable difference perhaps you could fab it up on the existing mount. But if you are in a hurry why not just get the right mount and install it the way the engineers intended?

3. Moonraker

Moonraker Junior Member

mishnick..thanks for the quickmatch site tip! It offered some good diagrams that show the differences in mounts. Looks like the 67960-1 is what I need. Although with a price tag of around $700 + shipping for mounts and receivers I already have, I am going to pursue modifications by tearing into it. I don't think these mounts are an engineering marvel...take an existing manufactured mount and make the holes line up. After all, most of them require some holes drilled anyway? Imagine yourself paying someone to install a plow for you? But thanks for that site, it will get me going!

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

a new mount should only be about $450. used about $200. the receivers are the same, and mounts don't include them.

5. mishnick

Your prices do sound high but it is what it is. In a rare few cases I have fabricated mounts from scratch for vehicles with major front end modifications making the original mounts unusable. Being a welder myself I enjoy such a challange. Problem is, being a former Cdn Military tank mechanic my fabrications are usually heavier than an original might be; however, none of my fabed mounts have ever fallen off. Anyway, if you have the metal, the skill and the tools to make it work go for it.

6. Moonraker

Moonraker Junior Member

Might be high price but that was new price. $580 used on fleabay for right and left side mounts w/ receivers. The money can be better spent elsewhere during the project. You will probably laugh, but the mount mod is only a small fraction of the overall project. A guy at work gave me a 6.5' plow made by Seco (cant find any info on it) but it was made in Pontiac,MI years ago. We have a half dozen Boss & Western plows on company trucks and everyone seems to favor the Westerns with the ultra mount. So...I extended the plow to 7.5' and built a new blade. Now I will build the A frame, Quadrant, lift frame, and mounts/receivers to match a Pro Plow straight blade . The guys at work that run the cnc plasma table, and machine shop can hook me up right, I just have to weld it out. Hard part for me is going to be trying to figure out the old underhood pump by Webster Electric Company that has no other info on the worn out label. Never even seen one before and not sure if it will fit in an 01 silverado.After fab/sandblast/and paint, I hope to have a pretty decent set up for under a couple hundred $. Wish me luck..

IMG_20121116_221912.jpg

IMG_20121116_221938.jpg

IMG_20121116_221956.jpg

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I'm usually the only one supporting the use and modification of whatever old crap you have, making it work when everybody says not to, but I'm going to break from that tradition here and suggest you consider converting to out-front electric hydraulics instead.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Moonraker,
    I am also a proponent of making thing work for what you want them to do. Looks like you have the skill. I would also look into putting the pump unit out front as well. See my link in my signature where I converted and old school diamond plow to fit on a Minute mount 1 set up. I also converted an underhood fenner pump to mount vertical from horizontal mount. Works great and still use it today.

9. mishnick

Wow, dude..... That looks like fun! If you are not paying someone else to do all the welding and fabrication then go for it. Your blade looks awsome. But like everyone else is saying, I agree on steering you away from the engine driven pump. The electric over hydraulic Isarmatic or flowstat hydro unit would be so much simpler. The thing about the engine driven pump is the valving. With electric over hydraulic the valves open and the pump begins to turn only when needed so you don't need a to redirect the oil when pressure is not required. You can't just let it go over the pressure relief, that's terribly ineficient and the PRV will get hot. You need a whole different (and expensive) valve body to deal with that. But good luck anyway, keep us informed as the project progresses.

10. Moonraker

Moonraker Junior Member

Hey guys, I want to thank you for your support and interest in my project. It's great to know I can get the help I need here! In case you didn't know, this is my first plow. So my question about the pump set up is this..Is the one in this pic engine driven? or is this electric hydraulic? Should I use it? and if so should it go under hood or out front? And TJS, I checked out your builds..great talent! I was wondering what you meant when you said you couldn't use the box you built for the pump because of packaging? Anyway, I built a set of receivers & was trying to weld out the set of mounts I built last night till high winds took our power out.

small.JPG

2nd.JPG

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, that's electric. You mount it out front on the plow lift frame so it comes off with the plow stuff.

You can tell by the big wires and the lack of a pulley.

12. mishnick

I agree, this is clearly some sort of electric over hydraulic setup with a seperate pump and valve body. I can see the main power relay in the background which turns the pump motor on and off. The other side of that relay goes directly to the positive post of your battery.

Most of the new systems have the pump and valve body intigrated into the same unit but what you have should work just fine. Much better than an under the hood, engine / belt driven system.