1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount Lift Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robthorp, Sep 27, 2009.

1. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

Hello, I'm looking for some advice from those with much more experience than I regarding Western Plows. I have a 7 1/2' Ultra Mount Pro Plow that's about 4 years old ( I bought it when it was 2 years old). I have the same problem that I have seen posted here a great deal, the lift function works slowly and with a grinding noise and very heavy load on the truck electrical system while going up. It takes 5-6 seconds to raise the blade compared to the 2 seconds noted in the manual. I have read all of the posts in this forum related to this issue along with the owners manual and mechanics guides. I have ruled out the electrical aspects by trouble shooting as described here and in the manuals (also replaced the alternator and battery in December 2008).
    I have taken apart the pump and motor, everything was cleaned and reassembled, I found nothing that indicated a problem. The motor bushings look and feel good, brushes and armature are in good condition. The pump was clean and no rubber or metal found in the pump body, filter, reservoir.

The only thing that I have found is the S-1 cartridge valve plunger doesn't move when the solenoid is activated. The plunger is free to move when it's activated but it doesn't physically pull the valve open. The solenoid is good, I tested it with the next cartridge valve.

The things that I have left to rule out are, retest battery, retest alternator, replace pump motor. I haven't been able to test the pump pressure as I don't have a gauge the will go to 2000 plus pounds and my local NAPA store says they run around $300.

What I would like some help with is:
    1. Does the S-1 plunger physically move when activated, and if it were bad would the only symptom be that it would raise slowly.

2. Where can I get a pressure gauge for a reasonable price.

3. Where is a good on-line source for Western parts.

Thanks in advance for your help, I have tried to read all of your previous advice and the manuals before bothering everyone with the same old questions.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You disassembled the actual Gear Pump? Have you replaced the gear pump?

3. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

I did not replace the gear pump, I opened it to expose the gears. The gears were in good shape, fit well together rotate freely, no signs of foreign objects in the gears or adjacent galleys.

4. Racer593

Racer593 Member

try checking your grounds. I went through the same thing last winter. Cleaned, checked and even replaced the motor, thinking it was the problem. Long story short, I had grounded the 2nd battery to the ABS mount on the inner fender, and it worked fine for 3 years. Ran a new cable from the battery to an engine bracket, and it IMMEDIATELY started working great.

Just a thought.

Chris

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How does it work since you disassembled/reassembled the gear pump?

6. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

Thanks for your input,

I did check the grounds,even bypassed the wiring with heavy jumper cables going directly to the pump motor. I also jumpered another truck in parallel with mine to provide additional current. Then I tried running the plow off of the other truck instead to see if my battery or alternator were causing the problem.

The plow works exactly the same after disassembling the pump, all functions work except the plow is slow to raise.

Does anyone have any input regarding the cartridge valve issue that I mentioned above.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How does it angle when on the ground? How quickly does it drop. You would be more likely to see drop issues out of a bad S-1. Have you played with the quill?

8. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

I haven't tried angling while on the ground, I will give that a try. I did adjust the quill to slow the drop speed, I closed it by 1/2 turn. After reassembling everything I adjusted the quill 2 full turns out in 1/4 turn increments to see if the affected the raising issue, it didn't. Thanks for your suggestions, I will try angling while on the ground to see if it has trouble with that.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would guess you need a new gear pump.

10. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

I tried the angle function with the plow on the ground, it still seems to move smoothly from side to side. I did increase the time from about 4 seconds to about 6 seconds due to the friction or drag on the plow. Why would you suggest the pump rather than the motor?

Thanks again

11. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

After reading the trouble shooting quide some more, I agree with "basher" that the S1 cartridge valve wouldn't cause this problem. It also says that movement is very difficult to detect in 2 way valves like S1. Does anyone have any suggestions about were to go next?

Thanks again

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A experienced repair shop.

13. robthorp

robthorp Junior Member

Good news, after retesting the truck electrical system battery and alternator I also load test the current draw through the pump moter (140 amps) it finally works again. I decided to adjust the pump relief valve even though I didn't have a pressure gauge. I adjusted in 1/4 turn increments 1 turn out and then 1 turn in with no change. I continued adjusting in by 1/4 turn increments and when it was almost seated it started to work better. I then took it all the way to seated and backed it off by 1/4 turn increments and finally left it right where I started, it works like new, smooth travel no grinding noise. My only guess is that there was something in the pump relief valve that was dislodged by compressing it or seating it, or the increase in pressure dislodged something it the fluid path. I'm going to change the fluid and filter next and inspect the reservoir for rubber or metal. Then I will get a pressure gauge and disassemble the bypass, crossover and pump relief valves and reset the systems and see if anything is broken in those valves.

Thanks for all your help!