1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount issues ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Dec 27, 2002.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Wondering if anyone else had this problem.. Hooked up plow all good , the pins locked into place, Plowed , worked fine, Next day , plowed some more and heard a banging sound, got out and looked , only to find the plow half haging off of the truck !!! the pin hook thing popped off and the foot was slaming into the ground, Its all messed up now, jammed in.. But what happend ?? The only thing I could think of is some water got into the pin, froze and popped it out ?? is that possible ?? I guess anythings possible /??

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

if the bolt that holds the hook and legs on is lose the pin will pop out.happened to me.it dosen`t have to be real lose to happen.that pin only goes in an inch.i have also thought the pin snapped into place but it didn`t.just the sound of the pin hitting the hole lol.so i did what you did went out plowing one night it was fine.next day plowing it poped out.also i`ve noticed if the plow frame moves side to side like when its tripping or taking a turn with the plow down that can make the pin come out also.lube the pins if you can and always check the spring on the pin

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

So in other words I should have went with the uni mount ?

I have all the bolts are torqued to spec per the instructions. Bolts are tight. I am not liking this system .......

4. turfguy

turfguy Member

Pins

Keep the pins and the holes clear of snow and ice. a quick shot with some wd40 and you should be all set. remember that the little tiny springs keep the pins in and if they get weak or worn the pins slide back and boom the plow falls off. yes this happened to me also.....that chirstmas snow was murder, heavy,wet and sticky

5. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'd imagine that a guy could make a modification for it... might bump the hook/unhook time to 1 minute vs. 30 seconds... I'd have to take a good look at mine, but basically replace/supplement the spring-loaded pin with a cotter-style pin that can't pop out unless you want it to. Just a thought. I love the idea of the ultra-mount, and if we ever get any snow here, I'll get to use it. :rolleyes:

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I'm gonna place a call to Western on Monday and see what they have to say ... But this is unacceptable to me.. If this is gonna keep happening I m tossing this plow, should have stuck with Meyers..

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats smart SCAPE.so just cause some silly little pin isn`t working right your going to go back to a plow that has more problems than are economy???? i don`t know what luck you have with meyers but i always had something breaking on them.thats why i went to fishers and westerns.had a western that was 20 years old and never replaced a thing on it.my father owned it before me and he never had to replace a thing.these are little problems that can be fixed with very little effort.i see you have had other problems to that you have posted on.maybe your asking for to much from this plow? i'm not saying your beating the thing or you have no clue on how to use it.if i was there to see what it was doing maybe then i could understand why you wanna go back to SH**** meyers

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

Well, If the meyers is maintained right its just as relieable as the Western as from what I am told.. I went with the western cause its the most readily available round here. No one stock s the Meyers locally otherwise that s what I would have gotten in the first place... I dont know what you are talking about , a small problem... The stupid thing was half hanging off the front of the truck and the foot was slamming into the ground , and is now broken.... uhhhhh Sorry but for $3500 bucks the thing better work right ....... Dont think that s asking for too much , I would think it's supposed to stay on the truck untill YOU take it off ??? Or am I just thinking stupid ?? maybe the plows are supposed to just fall off while plowing so you can run over them and rip your oil pan off. ????? Yeah thats not a problem... ????

9. mpflood

mpflood Member

Well Said

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

you got ripped for 3500 i only paid 2200.your not putting it on right or your beating the piss out of it.now as for me i have a meyers diamond curtis dealer 1 block down from me.i went with western for new plows which is 50 miles away.fisher is 10 miles away.maybe you got a bad spring or something wasn`t fabed right at western.like i said i'm not there so i can`t see what it is really doing when it gets ready to come off.now for meyers.i worked for the town for a few years and i was a mechanic for a ford dealer.i have seen tons of problems with them.i had one and it was nothing but problems everytime.good thing was i had another truck to use which which was a gmc with a western on it which use to be my fathers.reason why i didn`t use it all the time is because the truck was old and on its last leg.plow on it was awsome

11. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

If I beat on it , it would pobably be laying in the road somewhere >>>> LOL , There is only one way to put this thing on, the pin s lock in and that s it ... Then on mine they come back out by them selves..... It only happened that once , but I'm not in a position to have it happen again.... That was the best price I got on the thing, including tax and the spare parts kit... I checked all over the place , including the net.. An 8' pro plow with ultra mount...... What is yours ??? Maybe you knew somebody ??? I dont know... I ve never had a western before, had and still have a meyers, and the meyers never fell off of the truck.... The truck fell apartt, but thats another story.... I think the ultra mount is a little too easy to mount and maybe should be left to a homeowner type of set up rather than on commercial... ????

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Scape, sorry you are having problems with the Ultra Mount. I have a Western Uni Mount from 1992 and it has operated flawlessly over the years, never an ounce of trouble. I have been reading a few threads here and there and it seems the Ultra Mounts are being troublesome. I wouldnt buy one after reading this and that about them. You and Mike are both right. Id expect more from a $3500 plow, but dont say you are going back to Meyers and that you wished you stayed with Meyers, Meyers sucks, i dont care what anyone says. My Western has been great and I have not one bad thing to say about it, but mine is the Uni Mount not Ultra Mount. If you do change plows, either go with a Western Uni Mount or just change brands altogether and go with a Fisher HD plow. I wouldnt take a Meyers for free. Hope you somehow get the problem resolved. Mike :)

EDIT: My Uni Mount was $2500 installed back in 1992-1993.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2002
  13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

like i said something must not be fabed up good on that plow.after checking the bolts and lubing the pins there a B**** to pull out and sometimes the arm won`t drop down unless i use my body weight to stand on it to make it drop.same with it going up.i use a crow bar to help raise it sometimes.bolts got to be tight.screw the torque spec just sock it up.thats what i did and i haven`t had any problems with the 3 ultras i have.my 8ft pro was 2600 with the kit and double edge blade

14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

fisher and western are the same company.they use most of the same parts.diamond ad meyers are the same company to.the junk company.

15. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I have one and am buying anothe....love it!!!!

I would be interested in buying your when you want to sell

16. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

Well I spoke to western and they said that what is probalby happening is that the hole for the pin is a hair off, and that the bottom of the pin that goes into the hole is chamfered, So probably the pin is sitting on the edge of the hole and with vibration and jolting the chamfer allows the pin to be bumped out... I am gonna go check it out later and see how far in the pin actually goes.... And take it from there..... I'll keep you posted on what I find ...