1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount installed only clicks no movement !

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by blk90s13, Sep 29, 2014.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I recently went from Meyer to western ultra mount on my 02 ram 2500 wring install went smooth, all lights work signals etc but pump won't move the solenoid clicks loud but no movement on the plow

The plow was purchased last year from a local guy that said its fine and working perfect.

How can I eliminate anything wring with the wiring I did ? Test ? At main plugs ?

Can I run a jumper cable from like a battery straight to the plow pump to see it it moves ? Would I hurt anything ?

Plow is not mounted on truck yet ( no truck mount yet ) can that be an issue ?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How are you cking the plow without it mounted?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree,

Mount the plow and try again. You can use test light on plow side of solenoid to make sure power is coming thru solenoid. Same way to test at motor for power. If you got power at motor check grounds. Also can try a few taps on the motor in case it is stuck. If tapping works buy a new motor since you do not want it to quit in the middle of plowing.

4. blk90s13

You pull up to the plow with out actually mounting it plug wiring and just use the controller ?

I was thinking mounting would effect grounding ? Will get the truck mount on next week and try again I guess.

5. kimber750

Plow does not ground through the mount. Yes it should work off the truck just be sure to connect all the plugs.

6. blk90s13

Two plug system one with big red and black and one with 9 pin both connected and pushed in all the way, am thinking the pump is shot

Will try cleaning all connections on pump side and see if that works.

7. kimber750

Do you have a test light? Doubt pump is shot if it worked fine before. Good chance of bad solenoid or stuck motor.

8. blk90s13

All truck side is brand new unless your taking about pump side solenoid

I do have a test light and a multi meter, where do I check at pump terminals or truck side plugs first ?

9. dieselss

Test light the output side of the solenoid. And then at the motor, while your pressing left or right. Not up until it's hooked up to trk

10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Download the mechanics guide fishers will work. I too was having some trouble with my fisher it'd only go right. Then finally after playing with it enough I got it to raise. Then slammed in float and it started working. I think it was just froze up or air in the lines it was completely drained by the guy I got it from.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would start with the test light connected across the pump motor terminals. Leave the lift chain off and try the up function so it doesn't move (with no mount). If u get no life there work back to the battery. Have a good look at the two pins in the big plug.
    Curious thought out the number of plugs. U say it's an ultra but has two plugs? Something is wrong there. Is it really new? The new ultras have two plug multiplex control. If so it has a plastic cover over the pump assembly. Or it's got the very old relay controlled lights, that would mean it has uni wiring. Are we missing some detail here?
    Testing plow without mount is no big deal. I have a test rig setup for when I don't have the truck. Plow just wiggles around on the floor. Ground connects throug the big plug.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  12. mishnick

To test the main power plug you can use booster cables. Jump from battery ground to negative pump motor lug and from the output of the pump relay/solenoid to the positive lug of the pump motor. If that resolves your problem disconnect one cable at a time and try again. That will tell you which wire / pin in the plug is bad.

You can also just try boosting directly from battery to pump just to see if the pump motor is working.

But still the two plug thing is not right. Your used Ultra-mount should have three plugs, one for lights, one for valve controls and one for switched battery power going to the pump motor. Would be nice if you could post a picture of the plow so we know what we are dealing with.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The first couple years of Ultra mounts were two plug... Just like the Uni-mounts. He said the plow has a battery cable and a nine-pin harness. That would be a two plug relay system.

14. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

There are older proplow ultramounts with 2 plugs

15. mishnick

That possibility entered my mind but wasn't sure. The 9 pin comment should have tipped me off. Up here in Canada plows don't last as long as they do down there. We don't see many units that old getting installed..... Must be the quality and duration of the snow we get that wears them out so fast.......

But I did consider the option "Or it's got the very old relay controlled lights" as I asked above.

I appreciate your comments, keeps me on my toes!

16. blk90s13

This is an older ultra mount with 2 plug system nothing missing here.

17. dieselss

Ok, so test light the solenoid, and plow motor, and see if you have or don't have power while operating the clicker

18. blk90s13

I am thinking I picked a bad spot for the solenoid ( under battery tray ) every time I need to get to it battery must go !

This time I am moving it on the firewall

19. mishnick

The relay is one of the weakest parts of the system and a very important testing point. Mount it where its easy to access and where battery acid won't make it corrode.

20. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely. And thanks for referring to it as a "relay".

This is a perfect thread to educate some people, since there are three posters here referring to a "solenoid". A relay and a solenoid are two very different things. Snow plows don't have solenoids, they have relays. Starter motors have solenoids.

Just a pet peeve of mine... Sorta like knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" :D

Anyway, rant over.... Carry on. :waving: