1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount Hydro Bleeding When Unhooked From Truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sns250, Dec 13, 2013.

1. sns250

sns250 Member

Hi All,

I have a western wideout that is going on its 3rd season.

Everything works great, however I notice when I unhook it from the truck the lift cylinder is bleeding out which in turn is causing the headgear to fall away from the plow. This makes hooking it up a 2 person operation because it is stored inside on a concrete floor so the light tower does not stay if I push it back up.

I have tried taking it off in float, and not in float that does not seem to make a difference.

This was not a problem that I can remember having before last week.

Any ideas?
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When you uncouple the plow from the truck just drop the plow to the ground. It may go into float (green light comes on) but don't push the a-frame down before unplugging at the grill. When you unplug the light plug the controller will go off and the float valve will close locking the lift ram. Now the lift chain should be taught which is supposed to hold the lift frame in place when you back out. If the lift cylinder still sinks for sure then you must have a valve problem. I believe this is the S2 valve but don't quote me as I don't have my book here to verify. However, if this is a valve problem then I would expect the blade to drop when it's on the truck too. Very suspicious that you are not complaining about this??? Try lifting the plow when it's mounted and leave it for half an hour with the truck and controller turned off. If it sinks then you need to replace the valve that holds it up (as I said S2 I think). If it does not sink then the chain must be loose when you uncouple and it just appears that it's dropping when in fact it is not.