1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dheavychevy38, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

So I went to hook my plow up which is a ultra mount 2 plug system and the it doesn't work lol. The motor makes noise no matter what control you hit. Plus no matter what button except down the plow jerks alittle. Im thinking ground ? Any ideas I tried to wiggle the grounds to see if they where loose but they all seemed tight. Thanks in advance Denny

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

When was the last time you changed the fluid? I would first check the wires to the Coils & Valves, then change the fluid. The pick up tube may have fallen off, but you'll notice that when you change the oil. Make sure to clean the filter thoroughly well your in there.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go after the small black/orange ground jumper wire on the coils checking from proper ground. If it's ok then check for magnetism on the coils. If it has it on all three when their respective functions are pressed the valves are hung up from non use. Pop them out and work them by hand too free them up. Fairly common when they set idle for extended periods.

4. briatt

briatt Junior Member
    from usa

hey B&B

you seem to have a great amount of knowledge. I have a question about wiring on a unimount 1999 two plug that I have mounted with conversion kit to 2010 chevy 1500. Now I have to wire it, without spending 600.00 or more to do it. I have the old harnass and 6 relays. Can it be done?? I am pretty good at electrical but dont want to over tax anything. only doing 2 driveways. Thanks a bunch

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hear this many times and the plain answer is no. Of course anything can be done but doesn't necessarily make it correct, safe or reliable. The modern electronics involved in the lighting systems will not tolerate any extra loads or resistance in the system and can and will cause issues when something isn't perfect; everything from falsely triggered displays in the info center to a total loss of the lighting system and expensive component replacements. It's tough enough for plow manufacturers to tap into these late model trucks without causing issues, trying to patch in an antiquated old school system is simply a recipe for headaches especially if any warranty concerns arise in the future that have any possibility what so ever of being related to anything you incorporated into the wiring system.

Consumers will spend $30,000-$50,000 on a piece of equipment but then wish to save a buck doing something that has the potential to cause damage and possibly deny any future warranty claims instead of doing it the right way. Gone are the days of chopping into headlamp wiring and patching plow light toggle switches in. Not what anyone want's to hear but that's simply the way it is today.

6. briatt

briatt Junior Member
    from usa

ok, thanks I understand what your saying and at the risk of sounding like a redneck idiot who isnt listening, all though I really am. What if I dont need turn signals or brights or for my regular headlights to shut off. All I do is plow my drive and then take off the plow. I need lights to see if its dark and that is rare. Shirley just operating the plow using original wiring without touching the lighting system is possible right? hook to battery only and a ignition source in the cab? I dont want to hack into the truck harnass in any way. what do you think, Im still crazy? thanks again

7. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

I would say your filter is plugged

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Who's Shirley? :confused:

9. briatt

briatt Junior Member
    from usa

I didnt say I was a good speller.

10. briatt

briatt Junior Member
    from usa

there has to be a few people in my situation that have made something work safely. Or maybe having both sets of lights on overdraws the the wiring to the alternater. thats the only thing I can think that would be affected if you dont mess with the factory harnass at all. maybe Im just not being realistic. I just had back surgery and cant work for a few more weeks and I guess Im just feeling a little money stingy.

11. dheavychevy38

Ya im gonna jack it up and hook the chains short and take it to work with me. Got a heated shop there. But my guess like you said b&b is the orange and black wire. no matter what you push on the controler the plow jerks one way but doesn't do anything which would lead me to be bad connection or ground. Oh and the fluid was changed last season end of year with one push on it then parked.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hey I feel your pain, tough to spend 30K on a truck than find out you need to spend $600 on wiring components. So if you want a cheap to make your lights to work with-out spending the money on a new harness just run a 12 volt line from the battery to a switch on the dash directly to the plows lights, DO NOT attempt to tie in to the trucks electrics without the factory harness, particularly on a 99 or newer vehicle the only thing that will happen is you will buy some very expensive components because GM will not warranty any part of a wiring harness that has been cut.

13. dheavychevy38

Ok so I have verifed that I have a good ground. When I attempt to move the plow in any position all it wants to do is jump right but won't go. I have to try the valves to see if they are stuck. Is there any thing common with this ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check the coils for mag yet? Need to do that next.

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

16. dheavychevy38

Yep checked coils nothing so I got on westerns site and printed out some test things. Found the controller to be bad :angry: Have a another but need to find my extension cable other wise im gonna have a sore back lol :eek: Thanks for your help guys