1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Mount hanging during hookup.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Buckeye Chuck, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

When pulling into my Ultra Mount, to hook up my plow, I am having a little trouble getting it into the horns good. Any little tricks or adjustments to help it slide in nicely? I have the stands pinned to the third hole which is recommended for the clearance I have, which is 15 inches from top of horn to ground.

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Dealer install?? Plow side there is an adjustment on the frame. I put taller tires on my truck and had to change that so it lines up level. Other wise park it on a soft surface to push it on.

3. Buckeye Chuck

Yes dealer install but he is a ways away.
    Soft ground sounds like a good idea but I'm all concrete here. I adjusted the stands some but not sure where you adjusted yours at. Someplace on the plow itself, other than the stands? I thought of putting a gob of grease on the plow or in the horns, I did spray them good with some lithium greese.

4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Yuck...Grease. Evey time you bump it you get full of it. A plate on both sides that holds the a frame to the lift frame. On westerns web site in publications (if you don't have the install book) go to snowplows-ultramount-pro plow-install instructions on page 8 just to make sure they set it up right.or(www.westernplows.com/pdf/66878_083104.pdf) that should bring you right to it. My 8.5 pro plus goes right in, once i get it lined up.

5. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I had a similar problem with mine and found that when I go to hook it up it is best to get close to it and then hook up the electrical connections so that I can turn on the controller and put the plow in float position before driving into it the problem was resolved. You could try that to see if that helps at all.

6. Buckeye Chuck

I'll double check the install but I think it is ok.
    I wondered about the float too. Shouldn't have to engage the float by wiring before hooking up. That sounds like and accident waiting for me. It's hard to see if the plow is setting high or low when going into the horns. It gets half way into the horns then starts pushing the plow away on the concrete. I'll have to play with it more I guess. Seems like the stand would be the problem but it is set correct. I might experiment with going up one more hole on the stand, after I double check the install.

7. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Before you un hook pull some slack in the chains then you won't have to mess around with the wiring before you get-er hooked up.

8. Swinn

Swinn Member

I thought that those stands are adjustable for different terrain, they are spring loaded ones right?. Maybe I am not thinking of the same thing. You pick up or push down on the square handle and they will slide in and out. I have have put the blade in a couple of different areas in my yard and made the adjustment and have not had a problem with it. Hope it helps.

9. Buckeye Chuck

I did find some interesting things with the install. I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the install but just in case I'll give it a go.
    Going by that pdf install link you sent BDB, this is what I found.

First off it looks like the dealer was sent two right (passenger) pivot pins and they used them. Leaving the drivers side pivot pin reversed. That drives side pin is supposed to be in the lower hole but since it is the wrong one it will only go in the upper hole and on TOP of the thrust tube instead of under it.

The two pivot plates are set up for config. 1 or 2 and in the right holes, which is fine but there is a stacking plate mounted on the A frame and that says it's to be used only with the other configuration.

Not sure if those pins are a serious problem and I'm not sure if that stacking plate should be on or what it's purpose is.

I think I will have to call Western.

10. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I would suggest calling the dealer that installed it for you and ask for the correct parts to be sent to you. Tell them the issues your having and at least give them an opportunity to make it right for you before calling Western.

11. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the stacking plate is for higher trucks, 15" wont require the stacking plate

on a ford it is needed for 16" and up, its probably the same for your chevy

either way the stacking plate has nothing to do with hooking it up.

im hoping I dont have to adjust mine, as it is my truck is sitting at 16" after leveling out the front, 16" is the height for 2 different settings, wondering if its going to be at a tricky height now.

12. Buckeye Chuck

What does the stacking plate do?
    I'm going to check with Western before the dealer because Western will be very honest about whether this install is a problem or not. I'm thinking dealer could say it is okay since he installed it. I'm sure the dealer will make it right either way. He seems good, just thought Western might know for sure without any guessing.

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

didnt the dealer give you all the paperwork with it including the assembly instructions so you can check it all over?

you should not have to settle for a improper installation regardless what Western says, the pin is probably the same for any plow, he should have gave you the proper pin and not sent you on your way with the wrong thing on there.

seems as though the stacking plate is there for when your stacking snow, I guess if the truck is a certain height and higher its there to limit how high the plow will stack. At least I think thats what it is based on my own observation.

14. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Still no luck...I'm not sure about the pivot pins you'll have to call the dealer on that one. I do know that the stacking plate limits how far the plow comes up. Stops there before it hits anything else. Our first snow here this year to push and I did notice that if you drive up and set the plow down the suspension is settled. So the next time you drive up it may be a hair higher when it has relaxed after taking the plow off. Try dropping it then pushing it a foot or so to see if the suspension will come up. Maybe that will help?

15. Buckeye Chuck

Hmmm, thanks I'll try that. I have a new pin coming, I'll have to get the dealer to swap it out.

16. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i've had problems like that, with the plow sliding away....i just drop my plow where there is a lip in my driveway and push it against that.

one thing i have noticed though, when i would pull up to disconnect, if you hold the down button too long (it goes to float) the chains would get alot of slack in them...then when i would go to hook up, sometimes the horns would be too low, and i whould have to rock the plow bad alittle and try again....

then i started tapping the control up, to make the chains taunt, but too much makes it hard to get off...

what i have found to work best is to hold my control, until it floats, and the second i get alittle slack in the chains i just turn the truck off...

this gives it alittle play when mounting, and not too much so things don't line up.

17. Buckeye Chuck

I have messed with the float before, not sure if it helped. My control is a toggle type. When I drop the plow and turn it off, the plow is not in float, it locks. The only way for me to relax the chain is push the lift cylinder down then turn the plow off.

18. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i understand what you are saying, but if you put it into float (hold down on the toggle, until the float light lights) then the fluid will slow start to go out of the lift cylinder...it might take like 5 seconds, and the chains get alittle slack in them....when they are taunt i seem to have the most problems...you don't want them too loose either (i'm talking noticable sag)let the lift ram go down like a 1/4".

then turn off the power to your joystick, or i just turn the truck off....

19. Buckeye Chuck

I'll try it. I don't have a light for the float. I think when you hit down it goes right to float mode but I will try what you said.
    Thanks