1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra-mount flo-stat pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fishhd, Dec 13, 2011.

1. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

OK I'm going nuts, Usually when the plow goes down it just stops working and I replace a part. Not this time. The pump is running slow and bogging down. It bogs down to the point it acts like it's the motor going. so I replace the motor. Did not fix problem, replaced the fluid still bogging and making a rough noise. All angles and up- down work but after 2-3 mins, stop all together. Whats next? filter? repair shop?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Bill

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

There's a bushing in the manifold where the pump and motor bolt together. When it wears ou, it will not let pump shaft run true and binds up. Makes an awful squeeling noise. Western makes a special tool for installing the bushing. Have had it happen to a few ulta mounts now.

3. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

I just was looking at the diagram and it shows this sleeve/bushing/seal that goes over the pump shaft. I think you hit the nail on the head. I'll let you know.:salute:

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The bushing would explain strange noise but why does it stop after a few minutes of use? Does it do anything after it stops? Noise of any kind? If when it stops working the motor still spins but it sounds like free wheeling then I suspect you might have water in your fluid. If it's cold enough it will collect on the sump screen and plug things up. Then it will act like the sump is empty until it warms up and the ice melts.

5. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

I changed the filters and fluid. It's running super slow and bogs down to the point the motor cant turn. I was thinking of attacking the pump today,.but if I need a special tool, well then maybe I should just take it to someone?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just throwing my .02 out here,,,,did you check your power and grounds? The stoping after 2-3 mins kinda sounds to me, like an elect. issue (i am prob wrong on the one) But still could be the pump just getting worked to hard b/c its on its way out. When your working the plow,,,does it draw more pwr then normal to operate?

7. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

Yes, after it bogs down, it draws more power to the point the wires get hot. It doesn't seem to be an electrical problem but I'm no electrician either. Its 8yrs old and worked hard in lake effect country. Pump was rebuilt about 4yrs ago. I am going to take the pump off and see if it is running free then check the bushing.

I did change out the solenoid after checking the wiring.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. dieselss

Hummm. Both pwr and gnd wires? Could be wiring or the pump prob. Did you ck for pump output psi?

9. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

no, I don't have a way of checking the fluid PSI? how would I do that?

10. dieselss

Psi gauge that goes up to 2000 psi I think. And some fittings to plumb it in. Pm michnick and he could give you a better discription than I.

11. dieselss

Per the troubleshooting guide, the best poss. Cause and effect I could read that best describes your issue. 4) adj the pump relief 5) replace pump and or pump o-ring 8) repair or replace coils, wiring. 9) clean replace valve find the cause of contaiminatio. Flush and refill system. 10) replace cartridge valves. Thats what i found, i skipped a few that didnt pertain. The book says angle to the right to test system and psi reading should be between 1450-1850 if reading is low adj. Pump psi. Relief up. 1/4 turn equals 225 psi. Hope this helps.

12. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

thanks everyone for all the info, time to dig in and come out smelling like hydro fluid. wesport I'll let you know how we make out.

13. dieselss

Lol. That's the spirit!! :)

14. fishhd

fishhd Junior Member
    from NY

OK here is what happened.

Today i took off the reservoir, took off the pump examined it and everything look good. while the pump was off, I hooked up the power to the motor. and it still would not operate properly. so I pulled the motor and the manifold. Decided to have the new motor checked out by the electric motor ,rebuild man, who lives just up the street.
    He checks out the motor and everything is fine. I said I have the Pump and everything (that i reassembled) in the truck he says bring it in. He meticulously cleaned the manifold seat, struggled to line up the motor on the little alignment pin and tighten everything down. Bingo worked great. He said no charge, but I threw him a few bucks, and we parted ways with a Merry Christmas.Thumbs Up

When I installed the new motor I didn't seat it properly in the manifold and the little bit it was off was causing it to bind.:mad:

In the words of my friend Forest "Stupid is as, As Stupid does"

Funny thing is, I was right by changing the Motor in the first place and who would have thought that the new Motor not aligned properly would cause the exact same problem.:confused:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and.........

Merry Christmas

Bill

15. dieselss

That was really nice of him to n/c you to ck it out. Nice people like that sometimes make a bad situation good. Well glad to hear that it something easy, and you got it figured out. Good deal. :)