1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultra mount controller shutting off.....help !

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Superior L & L, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have a ultra mount pro plus. The controller lights up and turns on. When u hit any of the up or down, left or right buttons it clicks at the solenoid and shuts the controller off. We changed the solenoid and it still does it.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

May be the controller itself. Had one go bad on my mvp probably five years ago, so I always carried a back up. Had one die on me last week (had been turning itself off for awhile every now and then, and then started going completely black), so hauled out the backup and rverything is good

3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Yah just had two controllers go bad this year. If you can, test using someone else's that has no problems.

4. Superior L & L

from MI

Switched it out with another controller and it's still doing it. It's clicking the solenoid but it's not as solid and definded click as usual

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I wonder if your truck lights dim when you select a "loading" function? I mean when you hit up, left or right angle and the motor is activated... Perhaps the motor is drawing so much current (shorted) that it is pulling truck voltage down to the point where the controller thinks the ignition has been turned off? Does the motor turn at all when the relay clicks?

I would be putting a test light on the output of the motor relay (solenoid as you call it) to see if it lights up. It should light up when the relay clicks. If it lights up but is dim that suggests heavy motor draw or a bad relay. If it doesn't light up at all you need a new relay. Would also be nice to do a current draw test on that motor.

Another thought is to check the small wire connected to the large, hot lug on the motor relay. This wire feeds the two fuses that power up the controller. If that wire is corroded and on it's last strands then perhaps the click of the relay is enough to break the connection.... In any case I would be focusing on the motor relay (solenoid) and the wires attached to it first. Make sure they are clean and not corroded to the virge of broken off.

6. Superior L & L

from MI

Yep, we made sure all wires are clean and good connection. We replaced relay and put another electric motor we had on the shelf, but it continues to do it. I'll have to check into the two control wires

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The Pro Plus on my personal truck did that 2 years ago, and it turned out to be a loose positive connection to the battery. I'd double check all your connections at the battery, positive and ground.

Good luck!

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There's an extension harness that western sells. It's supposta fix this.

9. Superior L & L

from MI

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out it was something in the head light harness. (Weird I know) when we unugged that the plow worked fine. We ended up just direct wiring the plow lights to the truck lights I stead of paying a couple hundred for a new harness

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The headlight cable, from isolation module to grill, contains the loop back circuit that tells the system the plow is present. If that connection was unreliable it would cause your controller to shut off. Too bad you already modified your system because the cable you need is not expensive. At my shop we have a bunch of spares that we collect every time we do a transplant from truck to truck because it comes in the new headlight harness kit. If you asked your local Western dealer they would probably give you a used one for a box of doughnuts...