1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount configuration question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by loosetooth, Feb 23, 2011.

1. loosetooth

loosetooth Junior Member

had a used 8'6 pro plus installed on my 2000 2500 chevy. Every thing fine until I started to educate myself on this site and realized it was not configured properly according to Western so I detrmined that I needed #4 config with ballast in place and it was set at #1 . The A frame was angled up toward the truck and people said that was not goodso now everything is level and it slides on and off ok but the blade height is so extreme from one side to the other when its angled that its dragging in the wind rows and also starting to wear bad on outside edges. And I have overheating issues which have been discussed here before and need to angle plow while driving for good cooling but the close end is only 4" off the ground while the far end is about 18". I'm thinking I want to put it back the way it was before
    I messed with the geometry. Is it really that big a deal if the A frame is not level and 9" off the floor? Bye the way the truck has cranked Tbars and timbrens so config. 4 is corrct. You guys are pretty smart and thanks in advance for your help
  2. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Is your A-frame parallel to the ground when the plow is dropped?
    On this one, you can see that it is not, and plow raises up on one end when angled. That leads to cutting edge wear, and crappy scraping.
  3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Is it just possible that one chain is hiked up a lot farther than the other?
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Regardless of what configuration the Western site says the ultimate goal is to have the -fram parallel to the ground when the blade is fully down on the ground. On v-plows there are two configuration adjustments, the main four on the swivel plates and then another one on the rear end of the a-frame. If a v-plow is not level it will wear the inside and outside edges of the cutting edge very fast. Straight blades will too just not so severely. Another issue for a-frames that are slopping down away from the truck is that they can lift the truck when you hit a manhole. The plows are designed with an ideal "attack angle" which will only be achieved if you have the correct configuration. That is the angle between the road and the cutting edge.

If it is so low on the ends when angled maybe you have the stacking stops installed? Those are stopper deviced that prevent the plow from going too high. As I recall the build instructions say to install them for configuration 1 and 2 but not for 3 and 4 so maybe yours are installed preventing you from getting the correct max elevation? Have a look at the bottom of the lift frame, that is the stucture that holds your headlamps and the pump assembly. At the bottom there are two bolts on each side that hold it to the rest of the plow. The stacking stops will be there if installed. They are pretty easy to install & remove once you see them.
  5. loosetooth

loosetooth Junior Member

Wow. I'd hate to take that man hole ride. The pro plus has a swivel arrangement that would prevent one end to ride up like the pic of the dodge. When its floating it makes level contact-its when I raise or lower while windrowing (angled) that corner closest to the bumper makes contact well before the high side and that what is wearing my ends down The chains are equal and the A frame IS 9" and level like the book says with config. #4. When it was first installed it plowed just fine in #2 config. but A-frame was angled up like Dodge but the geometry was such that when the BLADE was angled its was close to the same height off the floor on each end and I didnt have this close corner dragging issue. Oh, ther are no stacking stops on either. Otherwise its been a fine unit. Been beatin it like a borrowed mule and been missin the man holes- thank god. Thanks for the replys
  6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If its configured 4 then you should run the stacking stop. If its being beat then you could have alot of slop in the front and rear pivot bolts! That would cause more hanging when angled.
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at the installation for the Pro Plus there is NO stacking plate..

If it was a MVP plus for example, then there IS a stacking plate, and IT IS for configuration #4 only. NOT use on configuration #1,#2, or #3..

Your pivot plates might be backward. Driver side pivot pivot plate should be "flay side up", and pivot plate should also be "flat side up".

When you "crank" up your torsion bars, they were adjusted wrong. (just listen) Keep in mind when torsions bars are adjusted, they are adjusted in mind of one person being in the vehicle (driver side). For example let say the torsion bar on the driver side is adjust 15" off the ground, the pass side should be adjusted 16" off the ground to compensate for the loss of weight of another person sitting in the pass side.

Therefore if you if you adjusted the torsion bars the same for both sides, then they were adjusted wrong.. Example again, if you have 3' measure off the ground for both sides, take off 6" on the driver side to compensate for the weight..

Pro plus

MVP plus (stacking plate) as the example

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

loosetooth, I think I am understanding what you are saying. If the blade is flat on the ground when it is in float all is good. Once you lift the plow and angle it the edge will be at different heights. The aframe doesn't lift straight up, it pivots on the pushplates. So when it pivots up your aframe isn't level with the ground anymore, and thats what makes your blade be different heights when you have it angled. I also have a 8.5' pro plus and mine is the same way.

Hope I didn''t confuse you but just like everyone said level is best.
  9. loosetooth

loosetooth Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input
  10. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

mine does the same thing
    ultra mount hangs low on one side at angle and makes it hard to push over a curb at an angle
    because it doesn't lift level.older two pin plows were better for that.I like my A frame level so I get more lift for piles