1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra mount aframe problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by D&S snowplowing, Feb 12, 2010.

1. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

I have 7.5 ultra mount standard plow the rear piviot bolt area broke out on the A frame it looks like there is a seperate sleeve that gose threw it well that sleeve broke it half...im very disapointed in the design on westerns part...is there any decent way to beef that area up im ordering a new a frame and piviot bar and why would they put a grade 5 bolt on the front piviot point? to me it seems retarted im thinkin bout sellin it when i fix it all and possibly switching brands

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My weld tore out on my pro plus so I took it apart and welded both sides up. after welding them up I ground the pivot bar and a-frame mating sides flush. Since there weld tore out i put two more passes around it. The bolt should be a grade five, believe it or not grade five is stronger in the shank (shear strength) and grade eight is stronger pulling on the threads (tensile strength). The grade is a harder steel to get the tensile strength so it won't give as much before it breaks. Rule of thumb if you are pulling against the nut you want a grade eight, if the shank of the bolt is holding the load then grade five.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Breaking around the bolt on the pivot bar is a fairly common problem... at least on the earlier Ultra mounts. I've fixed a number of them as Tony described. I think they beefed up the newer ones, as we have a few fairly new Ultras, and have seen no issues with cracking, etc.

You can switch brands, but they've all got their weak points... they all break somewhere.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the trick is to check the pivot bolt after every storm and tighten it up as needed.Sometimes we resleeve it with a piece of black pipe.

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i read somewhere that grade 5 is for shear strength. grade 8 is for thread strength. food for thought!

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you did... in post #2. :D

7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

When my buddy installed my ultramount, he used a configuration to accommodate the height of the truck. I believe it was westerns configuration #4. It stated a "stacking stop" brace be put in. It does not come with the plow set-up and needed to be purchased seperately. I appears it would help with the twisting of the a-frame reducing pressure on the welds and bolts. good luck

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

uh oh..bad memory on my part sorry!

9. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

well i said screw it and bought the new a frame and piviot bar today i just have to motivate myself to go work on it...

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

how much was the a-frame im in order for one soon!