1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultra coasting to a stop,left or right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dirt57, Jan 13, 2009.

1. dirt57

dirt57 Junior Member
    from 60002

i have a 7.6 ultra mt. on a 2500hd chevy with a hand held controller that is a pain in the duppa to center. it seems to continue to move left or right when i let go of the button. the motor stops but the plow coast to a stop. it go's up and down just fine, stopping whenever i let go of button. anybody else have this problem?
  2. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Thats the way it is. Mine does it too, I wish it didnt. My old Uni Mount Pro Plow with the joystick did not do this, but my new Ultra Mount Pro Plus with the handheld does exactly what you are describing. I think its normal, but if they come out with some sort of update that stops it from doing this, Im definitely getting it! ~Mike
  3. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

thats the design western made for the plows i have the same one and yes i dont like it but my dealer says its better for the plows to float like that its better for the valves and helps them last longer,,lol.. u need to do what i have done is try to learn how far it will float and time it when you release the button for the desiered position
  4. dirt57

dirt57 Junior Member
    from 60002

i count to 3 after i hit the button! does yours keep turning when your pushing snow and start to turn the blade and let off the button. mine will go all the way to the direction i'm turning! DIRT57.
  5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

When I switched from the handheld to the joystick I don't have anymore drift. Also I can tap the stick down it drops into the float mode unlike the handheld where you have to hold the button down until the float light goes on.
  6. dirt57

dirt57 Junior Member
    from 60002

the local western dealer just told me the same thing as THE MAYOR said!! so much for liking the hand held. maybe thats why there's so many hand helds on E-BAY!!! DIRT57
  7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

With the handheld the reason it does not stop is the "soft stop" feature. It basically holds the valves open for a short time after the pump motor shuts off. Joystick controllers do not have this feature.
  8. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

so whats the matter with holding the button for a few seconds to have the float mode i like the handheld controller... i have used a couple different types of plows and i think (and this is just my opinion) i think they are the best more freedom to move and shift gears..
  9. snowstroker

snowstroker Junior Member

I just sold my handheld controller for this reason, I like to know where my plow is going to stop especially if I'm right next to a garage door trying to get as close as possible.
  10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

handhelds suck. whenever a customer has problems w/ plow i plug in a joystick. no problem. i cant keep boards in stock.
  11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

my joystick stops that sucker quick. so fast it'll shake the truck!