1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Traction W/out Chains?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RX8_with_a_plow, Nov 28, 2005.

1. RX8_with_a_plow

RX8_with_a_plow Junior Member

I plow several driveways a year but without a doubt, year after year, the worst is my own. It is a very steep (30+ degrees) and stays at that pitch until it hits the road. There are banks on both sides so there is not really any option. There is no place to stack snow at the bottom. . I often find myself sliding uncontrollablely into the road. I usually will go down forward but in reverse (very very slowly) and if I start to slide I give it gas (ahem, Diesel) to dig down to pavement. This works better than nothing but not always. Swearing and panicking do not seem to help although I try them every time.

1 Will studded tires help at all? I use this truck as a daily driver in the winter so I hate the thought of messing around with chains.
    2. Does anybody have any recommendations for the best snow tires I can buy for my truck (see signature)? Size, Brand, Model
    3. If the storm happens overnight there is no option but to illegally push snow toward the street. Even with the plow up on a big storm I end up pushing a pile into the street. Of course that ends up packing the snow into a slippery mess. I usually just make sure nobody is looking, push it across and make sure I clean it up good. Suggestions?
    4. If chains are ultimately the answer, does anybody have a style that they like best. Where can I get them?

Thanks in advance!
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Got any ballast in the back? Not only it help counterweight the plow but it give a little added traction.
  3. RX8_with_a_plow

Yup, I should have mentioned that I stack probably 700+ pounds of sand right next to the tailgate.
  4. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

You need to use some of that solar energy to melt the snow !! I like Cooper M&S tires, also Blizzark's you want many "sipes" in the tires and a soft winter rubber compound. Sipes are the tiny slits in the tread almost look like a razor blade made them. The soft compound and sipes help grip better, but can wear out with year round use, so maybe a 2nd set of tires, I get a good 45K miles from my Coopers. If the driveway is blacktop mabye in the summer seal coat it with some grit or sand in the mix for better traction, the make an aircraft or runway grade that has grit already in it. Good Luck !!
  5. RX8_with_a_plow

Yeah, the driveway is on the north side and doesn't get any sun from October to April.

Thanks for the tire recommendations. I was planning on these being a second set especially if I was going to stud them. That brings me to another question. I have an old set of rims from my 1995 Ford F-350. Does anybody know if the bolt patern is the same on a 2006 2500HD? Both are 8 lug R16.

The tires I am running now are the Bridgestone Duravis II which have already proven to slide when the snow gets packed.
  6. Scott R

Scott R Member

Like the other post mentioned, the "Bridgstone Blizzak" is by far the top performer in slick conditions, here in Northern Alaska they are very popular, don't know if your size and weight rating are avalible. They are a very soft compound, but work incredibly well, I have them on my wifes car, son's suv, and daughters car. They don't make them for my truck size 900X16.
    They are made for deep snow, more for the frozen, packed stuff, (like what you should be driving on as you plow) We used to run the Cooper weather master studded tires, they are aslo good, but no compairison to the Blizzak's.

My 2 cents:salute:
  7. RX8_with_a_plow

Commercial T/A Traction

Has anybody had any experience with the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction tire? It looks like a serious contender and it can be studded.
  8. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Not sure how fussy you are about the driveway but from my experience with a RWD Buick the studs would leave some serious scratches in blacktop. I was even trying to be gently but once they spin its too late. I imagine with the torque of the deisel and pushing snow it would be even easier to spin them. Also in non snow condtions and and wet the studs seemed to spin on pavement, I think a combination of less grip with the rubber in wet and the studs sticking out a little higher than the rubber.
  9. RX8_with_a_plow

The driveway's a lot cheaper to replace than a T-boned truck :cry: but thanks for the advice. Did the studs help at all getting you up or stopping on ice and hard packed snow?

I'm a little scared of the Blizzaks because of their tread wear. I'd rather not buy a pair a year.
  10. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i had the same problem, i bought studded mud tires, and my truck never slid again !!!!!!
  11. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Hire some lowball stooge to do it while you're out making dollars plowing people who live in normal landscapes.

12. RX8_with_a_plow

That's what I wanted to hear.:redbounce
  13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Cooper Discoverer M+S or Mastercraft Courser MSR, both very good dedicated snow tires with high enough load ratings for your truck.
  14. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I run BFG comm. traction t/a 236/85/16 they are unreal. I picked up a road and 2 driveways because the guy that did them got stuck often. They claen good and handle well.
  15. RX8_with_a_plow

I looked them up and they look like the exact same tire. Do you stud them?
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

IMHO those BFG's suck- when brand new they only had about 2/3rd the traction of the previous snows I ran which were Goodyear workhorse Xtragrips. Now they they are half worn the BFG's are worthless in New England Snow! I thought they'd be as good since they are esentially the Goodyear pattern but with more "siping" but they were a major dissapointment.

Still have them on my snow rims- my summer tires are Toyo Open Country's and they plow better than the BFG's! Seriousily- these are my second set of Toyo's and when new they plow awesome (they are snow rated).

Question- Did I read that correct you drive forward down the driveway, downhill plowing with the truck in REVERSE? No wonder you're all over slipping and sliding! Put the truck in 4lo and in lo1 (or 1st gear if a standard) and Don't touch the clutch. Being in reverse only adds to your problems- you're causing the wheels to spin when going forward which means you're creating you're own skid. First rule of off road driving is lowest gear in direction of travel and stay off the brakes/clutch- let the engine do the work. Angle the blade to one side and try that before studding tires- studs tend not to stay in the tire after highway trips and can actually cause ice-skating on unfrozen pavement. I would recomend a good set of V-bar chains over studs anyday. Cable chains are easier on/off but are not as durable and don't offer as much traction.
  17. festerw

festerw Senior Member

They are a slightly different tread design but not much, I don't use studs IMO they have their place but it shouldn't be on a 4wd vehicle.
  18. RX8_with_a_plow

Thanks for the warning on the BFGs.

Reverse is the last ditch effort once I start to slide. It seems to be the only thing that works. I've tried creaping down in 1st/lo in previous trucks but in some snow conditions once it gets packed and glazed the traction is gone. That is why I thought studs might help to dig the snow back up and get me to the pavement. I've only had one storm in the new truck but it was enough to make me want to look for some winter tires and not run the all seasons. I thought I might get one good winter out of them with the fresh tread.

So does anybody know if my 8-lug 1995 Ford F-350 rims will fit on my 8-lug 2006 Chevy 2500HD?

Thanks for all the help!
  19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How about winching yourself down the hill when it's really bad? Anchor to a tree or make an anchor point up. Use the weight of the truck to plow it as you winch down. It sounds off the wall but might be the only way other then chains,at least you would have control on ice.
  20. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i used bfg on my old truck(not for plowing) i also noticed that they are ok when new, but they suck in rain, and in snow when a little worn, my brother inlaw runs the goodyear mtr tires and he never gets stuck at all, but dont run them in the summer months.....