1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Since it isn't snowing and I am sitting here in from of this
    computer at midnite on a sunday, I was wondering what everyone might think of as the "Ultimate Rig" for plowing
    snow. Not just the plow, but the truck, plow, controls, salter or sander, and other goodies. I am undecided as of right now, but and input in this catagory is good input.

please snow.....please....
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

What I'd like to build

Because I enjoy building my own trucks anyway, I already do a certain amount of "mixing & matching", my idea of what I'd like to have is a real "Heinz 57": Being a big fan of 73/80 Chev GMC's, I'd use a 1-ton dually frame from that era (Dana 60 front, 70 rear) with cab & front clip to match. (Body parts are readily available & inexpensive, plus I like the style) Wheelbase would be the 131.5" of a regular pickup. (Don't want it too long!) Cummins diesel powerplant with a "bulletproof" driveline - possibly the grunt low 4 speed GM used in the 1 ton trucks, with a 205 transfer case. My own custom built deck, similar to what I am running right now, with a stainless V-box spreader (no rust!) that fits onto custom mounts and pins on for quick attach/detach. Central hydraulics to run everything, with quick disconnect fittings for the V-box. Plow? Something along the lines of a Boss V with any of the weak points ironed out. Since this is the "ultimate" rig we're talking about here, I'd get really creative and build a smaller version of a DOT plow wing to clear an even larger path. This would also be designed to be fairly simple to remove when I didn't want to run it. Since I'm from Ontario, I'd have plenty of bright blue strobes so people would see me coming! Oh yes, and a drink holder that would hold a large beverage cup WITHOUT spillage! Just some ideas, I'll probably change some of them once I read what some of you are thinking of!

1975 GMC C-35
  3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

F-15 nose up afterburners on... 'nuff said!!

4. plowjockey

Well.. at the very least it would be awsome to see at night. LOL

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm..... let's see here:

-Black 2001 F350 Super Duty 4x4 Long Bed Reg. Cab Powerstroke/Auto
    -Western 8.5' V-Plow
    -Western Pro Flo 2 (w/trailer hitch mount)
    -Air Lift air bags on front and rear w/on-board compressor
    -Back Rack
    -Hide-a-way strobes in the cornering lights & reverse lights
    -Michelin LTX M/S tires

That would do very nicely...

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bruce, would sort of take care of plowing and salting all in one shot wouldn't it? Might get a little expensive with the fuel bill, though.

You'd probably even have to call Mike to restripe the lot.
  7. SlimJim Z71

Oh yeah... one more thing.

-Polyurethane edges on the V-plow.

8. plowjockey

Yeah fuel's going to be kinda' high but the speeding tickets are absolutely murder.

9. plowjockey

Oh... Yea...pretty rough on asphalt also.

10. SlimJim Z71

There goes the whole idea of not waking people up at night...

11. dmk395

dmk395 Junior Member

How bout any standard plow truck with KIT (NIGHTRIDER) at the helm, then you could just go to sleep and never worry.
  12. Grant

Grant Member

Hey '75'.....

I would be pretty much inline with your choices---I would lean toward an automatic trans and a cab made of stainless steel. (I WISH!)
  13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Move over, DeLorean!

Grant, I LIKE your idea: How about it, aftermarket parts suppliers? Pickup truck panels for the Big 3 in stainless! I'll gladly trade my paint for metal polish!
  14. site

site Member

my ultimate truck would be a lot like a skid steer. Hydrostatic, difficult to dent, easy controls using hands and feet. zero turn, diesel. The disadvantages- need better traction, dont like the noise, difficult to transport.
  15. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

For doing driveways, a 1960s jeep fc150 with lockers, 7.5 fisher in the front,a pull plow in the back,plenty of back up lights, 1 strobe on the roof,2oo1 dodge truck seats,and the cummings.
    For parking lots would be and is my 2001 1ton dwd dump with 8.5 fisher straight blade and fisher sander.
  16. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Four-wheel steering would add a nice dimension. While we're dreaming, a ride-control suspension system similar to what is optional on wheel loaders would make roading the 860 lb blade better.