1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate plow truck questions...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCSIndust, Feb 18, 2004.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have a fantasy about making an awesome plow truck that can handle damn near anything. ( Yes, I must be a plow guy to fantasize about plow trucks) I was looking into used military equipment, mainly those 6x6's. Has anyone used one, and where do you get parts? I could pick one up for a few grand, and wanted to put a 9 foot or so plow on it, and a v-box on the back. I love to tinker and build, and would love to make some crazy snow machine. Any thoughts? About parts?
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

For the 2 foot Blizzards,,,,Cool:D :D
    Not very fun to drive though...I like some creature comforts...Chuck
  3. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I'm thinking the front end can handle something much larger than a 9 foot blade....
  4. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I am an avid Military Vehicle Entusiast and also a member of the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association). Parts for Military Vehicles are very much accesible for pretty much any vehicle from a jeep to a tank all the way back to WW2. If you need any info or a place to buy a truck let me know, I can hook you up with many people
  5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

How about a WWII half track. For those nasty customers who dont like you. :gunsfiring: BRING IT ON! :gunsfiring: :D
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

where can I buy anti idot missles for my truck
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I am thinking more like a jeep sized vehicle with a Hummers toughness. Heavy as a 1 ton. Powerstroke powered, propane injected, chipped and Bank's toys added. Built C-6 tranny. With a V plow like 7.5 so you can get in tight areas. Duel redundant charging systems, 4 batteries in pairs. Radar / Flir system for backing with a heads up display so you don't even have to turn your head to back up. Buttons on the steering wheel to change gears.Two miniature joy sticks on wheel to control plow. Center mounted laptop computer with a satellite up link for radar storm imagines. A one yard salt spreader built into the back, low profile. Built in arc welder and air compressor for quick repairs. Four corner airbags would have to be installed too.
    I would have to hit the big mega millions drawing to build it.
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

hey micki still working on comps mabey too many beers (lol)
  10. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Can you put a plow on one of those trucks if it has the winch in the front?:confused: It would be good to have the winch so that you can pull yourself out just in case and still be able to get a historical permit for the truck or would adding the plow cancel that.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

How about a tank with a plow?:nod: :gunsfiring:
  12. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Ultimate? Humm, how bout a turning radius shorter than a CJ-7, plowing lights 5+ feet off the ground, 24 volt system for fast starting of the diesel in the coldest temps, 8 forward and 4 reverse for always having the right speed, a shuttle shift for forward / reverse, pneumatic 4x4 control w/ air activated diff locks front and rear, continuous rated hydraulics (not electric), mounting plate for quick swapping of attachments, capable of easily pushing a 10 foot plow, front (and rear) PTO for running a snowblower, overall length under 14 feet, easily carry 1800# of counter weight or sand, on board air system, removable insulated hardtop and soft top for cruising on Sat. nite...

Works for me.

Chris Elliott
    Unimog 406 w/ 10' Fisher, Schmidt S-3 Blower
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  13. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I tell you what I want is a truly heavy duty truck, Same basic size is as a f-350 pick up. I want it to have the ability to hold 6,000 of salt, because I know that you could put that much in as long as the truck could stand the weight. A heavy duty front end that is built to plow, and a 20,000 towing capacity- even fully loaded, I still want it pull the $h!^ out of the trail, like it's not there.
  14. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

My ultimate plowtruck would consist of the following. Straight front axle with leafsprings, heavy duty manual hubs, castiron 4 speed with unsynchronized ultra low 1st gear, NP 205 transfer case, heavy duty 12" clutch, manual clutch linkage, full floating rear axle, and a short wheelbase. Only other thing I would want are vent windows.
  15. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Unimogr: I was looking at unimogs, but they are so expensive! I know that they are awesome, but where can you get them cheaper? I went to the one site, and they were selling 1960's starting at $6500. I don't think I would want one that old. Anything newer is a lot of money, otherwise, a unimog would probably be my choice truck.
  16. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I was looking at unimogs, but they are so expensive! I know that they are awesome, but where can you get them cheaper? I went to the one site, and they were selling 1960's starting at $6500. I don't think I would want one that old. Anything newer is a lot of money, otherwise, a unimog would probably be my choice truck.

Yes, you're right. But if you compare to what you can buy for $6500. in a Ford, Dodge or Chevy (FDorC) what are you getting? It's typically close to the end of it's useful life. (I'm putting on my flame suit) Yes, I know the stories about uncle Fred's FDorC going forever but if you have a long list of accounts are you really going to feel comfortable depending on it?

When you compare what you can get in a 3 to 5 year old FDorC you can buy a fully serviced 15 to 25 year old 406 or 416 Unimog. ($15,000. to $25,000.)

The Mog isn't the right choice for everyone. On the down side it's slow, parts can take longer to get, wives and daughters don't want to be seen near it, sons won't stay out of it. You really need a daily driver in addition to the Mog.

On the plus side it's a very capable off roader, it can carry / operate a long list of implements, 16" to 20" of ground clearance, differential locks both axles, and so on. It IS a Mercedes so for those snooty driveway customers that want to outdo their neighbors you can charge a bit more. -bg-

As a daily driver you'd end up taking a baseball bat to it after a month if your commute is over 10 miles. I drive mine daily but I work 50 feet from my home. It does the bank, post office, coffee shop runs. It was a former German army depot unit 1978 406. It has 2100 hours on the clock and 13,000 miles. It had a full rebuild in 1989 and wasn't used since and was stored inside. It's as close to a new truck as you can get without buying a new U-500 for $124,000.

The gas engine 404 style you can find that run from 1957 to 1974 were all military or fire service trucks (with a few exceptions) and 99% of them had a full rebuild once, sometimes twice in their lives. So a 1960 404 may be a better buy than a 1974 because mechanically and cosmetically they are identical. You really need to inspect them and look at more than one to decide which is best for you. The 404 doesn't make the best plow truck because it doesn't have power steering or a hydraulics option.

Take a look at my site.
    It shows the different styles to give you an idea of what they are. If you have questions let me know.

78 406 w/ 10' Fisher
  17. eliteconst

eliteconst Junior Member

a local truck dealer is carries a truck called a UNIMOG made by Mercades. This thing is big. They have this crazy three trip section 10 foot plow on it. The dealer likes to wind row all the snow into on big row and the put the plower attactment on and plow the snow over the tops of a row of parked semi trailers. I stop and got a price, wow was it alot of money ($120,000 with blade) this was for the higher gvwr of 33,000#
  18. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Chris, what is your email address? Would you mind if I just email you instead of posting?

19. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I stop and got a price, wow was it alot of money ($120,000 with blade) this was for the higher gvwr of 33,000#

That's the U-500 being sold in the US by Freightliner dealers. As you may know Daimler Chrysler owns Freightliner and American LaFrance. The one you saw probably had the Vario-Pilot option that allows the drivers controls to slide to either side of the cab.

For a pic of the ones I've plowed with look in the PlowSite pictures section under Unimog. These are much smaller than the U-500.

Jamie, my Email address is below.

20. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

A unimog would be hard to beat! Other than a unimog the one thing I would like to see a plow on is a Ottawa yard tractor. I'm a yard jockey where I work and have been driving them for about 18 years now. A 4wd model would be nice but hard to find as the only ones I have ever seen were in sales brochures. You would need to rig a spreader on the back for balast because when they don't have a trailer hooked up to them they get stuck real easy (we usally put on chains in big storms) they have a great turning radius and a lotta nadds.These trucks are made to take a beating
    and I just think it would be cool to see one with a plow.