1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate gas saving/ manuvering/ plow /jeep set-up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLOWIN DOUGH, Mar 23, 2008.

1. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Hey guys, this is my first year in plowing it went well except for $3000 in truck repairs on one truck but that is to be expected. Now Im gonna be getting a 2nd vehicle as my new daily driver to save gas. I also want it to be my new plow rig, i do mostly drives but still want to be able to push small lots incase. Im almost set on getting a jeep wrangler but wouldnt mind a cherokee. Id like a 4 cyl. is this to weak, do I need the 4.0? I cant decide to buy new or used? And now finally my main question which plow? I want to backdrag efficently I could save $ with a straight blade with a backdrag edge on it or should I buck up and invest in something with real downpressure? Whats my best bet with d.p. snowway boss ? Remember its for a jeep so weight is an issue. Also I think I want a eight footer can a jeep handle this?

2. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I'd say the 8' plow may be pushing it. My old boss got an 01 cherokee brand new and had a 7' plow with no problems pushing. Normally people stay with a 6'6" plow though. And yes, i'd definetly stay with the 4.0 liter. My daily driver is a 98 Cherokee and with aftermarket exhaust and K&N intake it would easily move a 6'6" plow.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

A Jeep wouldnt be a good choice IMO. I just sold my Cherokee that I picked up 7 months ago for "fuel savings". Little did I know it would only get 13mpg around town and maybe 16 on the highway. A 7' would be about as big as a "Cherocar" will handle especially since its a unibody.
    A Wangler isnt a good choice either since the fuel mileage wouldnt be any better and a 4cyl is only good for a boat anchor.

IMO, I am a former and current Jeep owner so I am not bashing

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

As stated before, get the 4.0, and don't get too big of a plow. And it won't be great on gas, that's for sure!

5. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Get a 6' or 6.5' and put pro wings on it. Small plow for drivers and 8' when you need it, but I think you would kill a jeep with an 8' plow

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

look at a diesel liberty. they have a good subframe for a plow and get 30mpg highway.

i have a great custom setup for one if you are interested. westen 6.6 standard with new mount.

7. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Thanks guys, especially salopez never thought of the liberty good idea thanks.I guess your right about the motor but could a 4 cyl push snow?

8. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

22 years ago we had a 4 cyl Toyota 4x4 truck with a blade. It worked fine but we made a mistake buying one with a manual transmission. We wen't through 3 clutches per season.

A Jeep Wrangler is no great shakes on gasoline. Just check the weights. It's well over 4000 lbs, so it won't do as well as you think. The only reason we are considering one for next season is because they are small, and we have a couple of properties where the size would be very convenient.
    And don't feel bad about the repairs. We've spent over $13,000 in repairs on 4 trucks.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

What year Cherokee? I had a 98 and 99 both got 15-17 in town and 18-22 mpg highway.

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yes, stay with the 4.0!
    This type of vehicle is fine for "light" plowing. We use ours on smaller commercial lots and driveways.
    The nice thing is ya can haul a small blower, and some salt, keeping these things out of the elements.
    Ours has a poly blade and thats one area where I would say it doesn't do the "best" job (backdragging).
    Ours is the 2 meter (6.5 ft) plow its very light but has its limitations.
    You can plow snow w/ just about anything-heck just get a 4 wheeler (ATV) !! That'll "plow" snow, and yet alot of them only have twin cylinder motors!
    Here's ours.

DSCN0445.jpg

11. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Im a jeep guy, but I wouldnt plow with one commercially. If I just had a jeep and wanted to plow MY OWN driveway, I would consider putting one on it.

Jeeps are fun, tough, and capable...but they are far from reliable, and they dont get as great of mileage as you would like. Far better than a V10 F350, but not much worse than a decent 1500 V8.

I have gone through 2 clutches, a tranny, a transfer case, 4 rear ends, 2 driveshafts, a shock...and countless small engine quirks with my cherokee. Ive never even DRIVEN my wrangler!

I wouldnt put the reliablilty of my buisness, and MY NAME, on the reliability of a jeep.

Id look for a 1500 regular cab/short bed with a smaller V8, throw on a 7.5' plow, and go plow. You can get 18-22 mpg out of those if you baby it...which is actually better than what a 4.0 jeep will get.

But if you decide on a jeep, DO NOT get the 4cyl, only the 4.0 dont even consider a different motor. One of the best motors ever made, great power for the size, very reliable, and long lasting.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Jeep reliability

Anyone who goes through three clutches in one plowing season is either using too tall a gear to start off moving the snow load or is slipping their clutch at the start of moving a snow pile. Either one is a sure fire recipe to cook a clutch.

I started using jeep 4 cylinder CJ's to plow over 36 years ago. I have never, and none of my drivers had either, burned out a clutch while snow plowing You have to plow with a manual transmission just as you would operate a tractor. You pick the lowest gear to get started and then upshift as your load is moving. You do not slip the clutch. If your engine is lugging you are using the wrong gear, downshift and let the gears work for you.

That is not to say that I did not replace clutches over the years, I did. But it was in the summer that we had to do that, not in the dead of winter in the midst of a storm. It is easier to pull the motor out than to drop the trans on a Jeep, and that is the way I would do it. I take the whole front grill off with the radiator still attached, take off the wiring harness, remove the battery, remove the Monarch hydraulic plow pump, and the bolts around the flywheel bell housing and out she comes. Take the flywheel off, have it resurfaced, replace the pilot bearing, dab it with a little grease, mount the clutch assembly, check the rear seal, install a new throwout bearing, and pop the motor back in. Put the grill assembly back on, fill the radiator, fire it up, and you are done.

I have plowed with the 134 cu. inch 4 cylinder, the flathead six, and the AMC 304 V8. We worked four days straight in the blizzards of 1977 and 1978 without any mechanical failures. Any one of these will do the job for you if you know how to drive it properly. Never slip a clutch when plowing, and don't pop it to try and blast through a drift. Unless you are driving a CAT 944, you plow "one bite at a time" in the monster storms.

In short, take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you.

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Commercial means you take money for plowing. I plow commercially (only driveways no parking lots) with a jeep and will use nothing else (I've used an F150 bought a Jeep for backup, used it once sold the truck!!! I have plow with jeep wranglers since 1989 I've found the wrangler to be the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned. my first jeep I put 250,000 miles on it before I sold it. I plowed with it its entire life. I plowed 75 drives every storm with a 7 1/2 fisher RD plow. My plow business depends on Jeep wrangles (96 driveways now). I've had 1 brakedown while plowing, Wheel bearing went south. That dose not mean I dont do preventative maintenance. I do a poop load of that, check my other posts on that.

As for the 4cyl It is the only motor many plow manufacterers list because of the weight of the 6cyl. Yes it pushes just fine, lots of people plow with wranglers with 4 cyl.

plowing I get 4 MPG in my Wrangler.

14. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I never figured out my MPG when plowing, I burn about a gallon and a half an hour on either the 4 cylinder or the 304 V8. That tells me the 4 cylinder long stroke is a pig on fuel. But it is so reliable, and simple to work on I don't care. I love the way it will whine when it revs up climbing a hill. Sounds like a mini Cummins turbo. Sweet.

15. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

As I've said before...got (2 YJ's) 4cyl, 5 speed's and one TJ 6 cyl auto.. There is no difference in capabilty that I have seen. Have 6.5' plows. This year two did 85 drives and a Courtyard Hotel. We billed out around 18K in plowing (which considering we are in NJ even shocked me) with two Jeeps I bought for less that 7K combined years ago. We spent around $1,500 a year on repairs and PM.