1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate driveway machine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmelicious, Mar 18, 2007.

1. dmelicious

dmelicious Junior Member

what are your thoughts on a rig for driveway use? take in to account durabilty, and function. for function i mean, good tight turning radius, drives that are steep with no room to turn, and have lots of turns in the drive. basically a machine and plow set-up to do the worst type of nightmare drives, but a machine so good they won't seem so bad.
  2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

A half ton regular cab/ short box would be the best. Something short and easy to get into tight places but still able to handle a normal sized blade. I think Blizzard speedwing or a Boss V on the front and backblade off the back. This would be a very profitable setup.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Troy I agree, even if you had a 7'6'' boss straight blade on the front with a rear back blade you would be fine. If you did go with a boss vee I would get the 7'6'' vee for the half ton.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

You get away with an 8'2, its only a 70lb differance between the 2. The biggest thing is containment of the snow and not having to deal with spill off and chasing bleeders.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Bobcat toolcat turbo highflow with a blizzard 810 and bobcat 66" snow blower.
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't factor in just the added weight of the plow, but how much snow the extra 8" has to push. It is probably a really small difference in weight, but on a wet heavy storm it might make a difference. JMO.
  7. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

I love my Broncos for my residential accounts! They work perfect for me. Easy to carry blowers/shovels/some salt and manpower.

Also, K5 Blazers and Dodge ?? (same size/type) power wagon i think??

8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Or my personal favourite, a Bobcat 463 with 4 foot SB 150 snowblower
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto. Or a Kubota RTV900.

Jeep Wrangler would work out nicely as well.
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Cherokee works GREAT for me

Dodge Ramcharger is what you were thinking.
    I have plowed with older Blazers and Broncos. I like the older stuff because they have solid front axles. My present favorite is my 01 Cherokee, 6.5 Meyer, 575 snowex. Just got some more here in Fairport (Rochester) NY. I did 3 trips on 1 tank of gas with 50+ property route. Cant do that with a full size. And yes it will go many places you can't get with a full size or bigger plow.
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You said DRIVEWAY, TIGHT, CURVE, The Bobcat sound interesting, a bit cold and going from drive to drive can you register a bobcat and drive on the street?
    Some of them are full of testosterone. they got TRUCK in there head and not the right tool for the job. a Jeep, 7 1/2 blade! bigger blade is to hard to move around in tight places you go smaller and when you angle the blade your tires will run over the snow on the side (IE when angled the blade is not as wide as the Jeep). Ballast in the rear, air shock up front. I've used Jeeps for 18 years doing 70 drives per storm. I used an F150 for 2 years got rid of it. when I went to Jeep from the F150 it took me 30% less time to do the same driveway. (That is for the same amount of time spent driving I can make 30% with the Jeep than I made with the truck) When I used the truck I was full with 48 customers thats all I could handle. I do 70 with the Jeep.
  12. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Bobcats do come with heaters. Not enough to keep your coffee warm but enough to keep you from freezing to death.

What is it about the jeep
    small turn radius?
    short turns?
    is the balance ok?
    new style vs old?
    We keep mumbling 'jeep' around here but keep throwing the Bobcat into the fight
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

For a straight-up residential driveway machine (especially if on a budget), I'd call for an '86-94 S10/S15 Blazer/Jimmy. Really short wheelbase, tight turning, 4.3L V6 power, commonly come with posi and all the creature comforts, parts cheap and plentiful... add a blade on the front and back or front with a salter if required.

If a bigger budget is in order, I'd consider a nice new skidsteer with enclosed cab and heater. Turn on a dime if necessary.

Other good possibilities are K5's, Bronco's (and Bronco II's), Ramchargers, and Jeeps. Pick your favorite brand and color and push some snow!
  14. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

How about Quads

How about using quads I see alot of guys pulling trailers with a quad and a couple of snow blowers behind the plow truck. Is the quad better if you gotta lot of sidewalks and driveways? Plus you dont hafta registar the quad or pay ins on it. Plus you could use it during hunting season!!
  15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Quads are good for sidewalks and small drives. You can always find an excuse to get one. Just remember that in most states you can't drive them on the road, so you'll have to trailer them if you don't have a really tight route. I say go for a Jeep or Bronco II. I'd go for a Jeep personally. The name speaks for itself.
  16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Wrangler's or Toyota's can't be beat for small driveways. I had a jeep for a few years, never plowed with it, but seen plenty that do. Personally I like the Toyota, ample bed room for ballast, even a mini spreader could be dropped in. "Flipper" has a 1yd spreader in the back of a Toyota and he bills more per hour with that truck than his F350s.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't know about other places, but here a quad needs a license plate and liability insurance other than on private property.

In some places, apparantly, quads can be registered for street use (like a motorcycle) with the addition of signals, horn, etc.
  18. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I liked my Ranger this year. It has the 4.0 6 cyl and a Sno Way 6'8". Worked great on the city drives!!
  19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I have to agree with Derekbroerse, you need plates and insurance here in NY too. Even if you didn't I woul still have it. Do you plow with out insurance? I hope not! But true enough it is nice to have a piece of equetment that you can go wheeling with the buddys on. Every Sunday I get the chance, and the wife knows it too.
    Sorry I got a little off topic. My vote is still for a Jeep. I like Jeeps because they have solid front axles. If you go with a Cherokee you can get them way cheaper than a Wrangler.
  20. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We run a Cherokee for plowing also. Its cool. It feels like the back of the vehicle is behind your drivers seat. The shift on the fly is nice & it hooks up good in the 4x4. Others have expressed concern over it not being a full frame vehicle. We haven't as yet had an issue w/ that (windows popping out, etc.) Our 1st snow this seaon was 12 inches of Wet, heavy, slop! It made it thru. I had to weld the plow but the Jeep made it thru! It is better than a ATV b/c you have heat/protection and don't have to pull a trailer in a snow storm. I would say our skid loader is "THEE" most meneuvarable thing we have for snow. When I can figure out how to get it from site to site w/o pulling a trailer in a snow storm it will be the machine of choice. The factory cab is great. Once warmed up u can wear a T-shirt in the cab & be comfortable. Also have a wiper/washer & defrost. The loader stays on a designated site now which is comparable to a college campus. Alot of hit & miss parking spots. W/ the loader U work your way around in 3 motions, not 14 like in a truck. It is a piece of equipment which can with stand much more abuse than ANY vehicle.