1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultamount why why why

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by billklima, Jan 4, 2010.

1. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

my ultra wont move motor runs, coils works, screen clean, pump shaft ok,full of fluid,carterage move freely, any one got any ideas

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

you might have a bad pump

Air in the system?

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

so you have varified that your coils are magnetizing when a function is requested. also are you sure you have a good ground? your motor sounds like it has a good ground but not your coils. take a jumper wire and ground it to the battery from one of the coil wires and try it. the coils have a common ground so if you ground one they all will be grounded. its a self bleeding system so i doubt its air. if you pop a line loose do you get an fluid at all?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. twinman326

check to see if you have a "black/orange" wire from the solenoid to the negative side of the battery. If you do, the is you ground wire for the (S) valves. Check the wire for good connections, and make sure the end at the solenoid is not loose or broken

5. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

i check the grounds on the coils its ok,but would the coils magnetize if there was no ground ?and the black/orange wire was not grounded the motor woldnt run right

6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Ok so you have solenoid operation (power and ground), do you have valve operation? Take the valves out and make sure they all move freely and the orings are in good shape. You might even disconnect the motor and hook the valves up outside the manifold and operate the plow and see if the inner part of the valve moves.

7. sno commander

from ct

the heavy red and black plug runs your motor when you hit the controller via sylnoid under the hood on the truck. when you activate your controller it runs the pump but also magnatizes the coil per whatever function our using. so to answer your qustion yes the pump will still run even if you disconnect all the wires off the coils. so all the coils do magnetize? are you getting any pressure at all?

8. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

just enough pressure to lift the chains,took the cartages out they move freely

9. sno commander

from ct

it may be a bad pump but your coils are magnetizing correct?

10. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

pump look like new inside took it apart to ck the gears, and yes the coils are magnetizing just fine

11. sno commander

from ct

how old is the plow? did you use it this season yet?

12. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

about 8yrs old , yes used it about 4 times

13. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

had no problem untill now , the plow just stop working while i plowing my driveway

14. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

main pressure relief is backed out of the block. tighten it down tight and back out 1.5 turns and try it.:nod:

15. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

tryed that also, tighten all the in just to see if the spring was broken still nothing

16. twinman326

actually you shouldn't take the pump apart.......What you should do is check for pressure .

Here is a test you can do

pum1.jpg

pum2.jpg

Also have you check the connection at the grill and plow? Make sure the pins are clean and good. Also make sure the grill side is also clean..If not, use battery cleaner, then use air to blow the out..Use dielectric grease on the plow and grill connector. U also might want to use a pair of pliers and squeeze the grill side (the female plug) very lightly just to close the holes a little to make a better connection.

As for the black/orange wire, yes it should be attach with the negative wire to the plow frame (plow motor). If that wire is not grounded, your plow might do weird things.

Have you check your controller?
    Can you borrow a friend controller to see if your controller is going bad?

pum1.jpg

pum2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. billklima

billklima Junior Member
    from ny

i havent tryed another controller yet everbody has v plows. i checked the conection on grill first thing. how do you do a cartrage test? all the coils are working in order with the controller it seams like there is very little presure, but pump looks fine i just cant understand where all the presure is going the motor is running full speed

18. twinman326

Your wish is my command
    Test

mvpcart.jpg

indtest.jpg

Just in case here a pic of the whole unit

unit.jpg

Here something you might want to check out

cvpv.jpg

Pump might look fine...Did you do a pressure test on the pump??

mvpcart.jpg

indtest.jpg

unit.jpg

cvpv.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  19. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WAIT.........STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Before you go throwing away money or tearing it apart!
    Those pics above are not a Ultramount!

Anyhoo..............If motor runs when any position is selected and NO plow action and
    the fluid res. is full my bet is that the Fluid pickup hose/filter fell off and is laying in
    the bottom of the res. can.

You have to either drop the resevoir can or pull off the motor and fish around from
    the top and feel if it is still connected.
    Easiest is to drop the rez. can (4 screws) Fluid film (or similar) and turn out
    GENTLY as they are fragile and break easily...............
    The older NON Ultra units have the filter connected directly to the pump body
    the Ultras do NOT. The Ultra filter hangs on a hose from the pump in the fluid.

Common issue with the early Ultramounts. Western has a recall clip kit to
    secure the pickup hose/filter assembly.

Ask ME how I know!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Heres a exploded pic of a Ultra. Note how the filter is connected:

Flostat.JPG