1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uhmw

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by umdman44, Feb 1, 2012.

1. umdman44

umdman44 Junior Member

I am looking find out if i could get a full season of plowing out of UHMW edges. Conditions: Average snowfall, 50 residentials and 30 commercials, using 810 blizzard plows, no shoes, have commercial customers who want lots scraped. Currently i can get one and half seasons out of steel. Could i expect to get more for my dollar out of uhmw? Any help is appreciated!!!

2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

As there seems to be so many different grades an the market-I will say my experience with my speedwing. I changed over 2 years ago, averaged 1 1/2 seasons with metal, would project at least double if not triple with the poly edge. Not quite as good on ice, but no complaints as I salt after applications.

3. umdman44

umdman44 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I am the type to buy in bulk. So if i go to poly i want to make sure i will get more life out of an edge. I was looking to buy a 1 1/2 inch 4'X10' sheet.

4. Polymerman

Polymerman Junior Member

UHMW Grades

You will find that the best product for most plow applications is the natural or virgin grade, normally found in an off white color. Many manufacturers will have a pigment embedded for either identfication or to match their marketing needs. In cases where extreme wear is encountered, using a blend with glass or ceramic beads embedded can help resist wear and maintain a slightly better structual integrity.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

THe 810 poly edges from blizzard do not scrape well. They chatter like crazy on dry pavement doing clean ups. Stick with steel, and run winter carbides on your wing edges.
    JMO