1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UHMW cutting edge on 8ft Boss super duty with Boss wings ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark71, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

I have a new 8ft boss with new boss wings and want to add a 1.5" thick x 6" wide x 96" long UHMW cutting edge.

1. Should I bolt on a 1/2" thick x 4.5" wide x 96" long piece of steel to the cutting edge first, then add the UHMW edge to this, so then only 1 1/2" of UHMW would be hanging below the moldboard ?

2. My thinking behind this is does this rule (the overhang below the moldboard should not exceed the thickness of the cutting edge) apply to UHMW cutting edges as well ?
  2. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

Or should i just stick with a rubber edge to match the boss wings ?
  3. Go with one inch or 1.5 and you will be very happy. I have two inch on a 9 foot boss but that does big lots and streets.
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

i would start at 1.5 and slot the holes so you can just loosen the bolts and slide it down as it wears
  5. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

So l am guessing I will just cut down the wings to match the 1.5" overhang of the uhmw cutting blade. I am thinking that I will lose 2 1/2" off the wings. I hope that the new uhmw cutting edge will slow down the wear of the boss wings as they are expensive. I am going with 1.5 thick x 4 inches wide x 96".
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I wouldnt cut the wing edges. Install the uhmw so that it fits with your wing edges.