1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UHMW Cutting edge for an Ebling?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by excav8ter, Dec 2, 2012.

1. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Just curious of how many people use something other than steel on their Ebling or Swing wing.....or what ever pull plow you have? I have a few customers asking about an non metal cutting edge on my pull plow, since that it what I use on their driveways. Some of them are concerned about the streaks of rust on the driveways. I try not to put any more down pressure that what I need to get the drive clean, but I have a few homeowners and condo people who can be a little finicky.

Thanks.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

There are companies that make rubber edges. but i would not go that route if it were me. i cannot imagine they do as well as steel. and i would not lower your service for everyone just for a couple drives.

you could try using a back drag edge so you wont need down pressure.

or tell them the rust washes away.

3. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

................:dizzy:.....:dizzy:

4. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I put a 1.5" UHMW main cutting edge on mine last year. I left the rubber type of edge on the wings.

I did it for a few different reasons.
    1. No rust streaks on concrete drives.
    2. Paver drives.
    3. That horrifying sound the steel one makes on concrete. It probably wakes the entire neighborhood.

5. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

how does it work as far as scraping the pavement nice and clean and getting up ice?

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Does it do a good job? How long do you suspect it will last?

7. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Yeah, it does a good job. It obviously isn't going to scrape up icy hardpack quite as well as a 3/8" steel edge, but I think it still does a respectable job on the hardpack.

As far as longevity, I'm not exactly sure as it had limited use last year. I probably used it with the poly on it 4-5 times and the wear is minimal.

8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Where did you find it? did it bolt rightup to the Ebling? If you don't mind, p.m. me the info on where you got it.

Ben

9. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

We've got a blade with Uhmw all around also. It works pretty good, but as stated before nothing scrapes like steel. It does work though and we got a couple winters on it already and planning on it lasting this year yet. We just get ours from a local plastics manufacturer. Get it cut to length hold it up drill the holes through. Hope that helps.

10. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Who do you get it from?I have a job coming up in Caledonia next month.....perhaps I can grab a piece while I'm out that way.

11. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

PM has been sent.

12. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

How is it wearing? How do you like it? Did you make the edge yourself or by it somewhere?

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I stuck with the original edges that came on my Ebling. .. that truck is doing mostly commercial lots now. We added a New Holland TL100A, with a Normand Inverted blower for all of our driveways.

14. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

How many trips did you put on the UHMW? I ordered an ebling the other day but still have to decide what edge to put on it.