1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uhf-vhf or cbs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doyles, Feb 3, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

i was thinking does any one use them how is your coverage in the long run its cheaper than cell phones because of my area i probale will have to run through a repeater and for up to five radios is 65 dollars a mounth right now i only need 3 radios
    thank you

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

make all your employees get a ham license :drinkup::D;)

3. doyles

doyles Member

the problem with that is you cant talk any business on a ham radio

4. birddseedd

Talking to a business on any radio is not feasable. They use phones. Plow to plow a cb is probably best. Do you plow beyond a cbs distance or range?

5. doyles

doyles Member

some times the trucks can be 10-15 miles apart other times there within a mile of each other i dont know mabey the cell phone whould be best i'am just looking to save money
    by the way
    how did you make out on your plow

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Business mobile radio systems are actually very affordable. I started with one, then we went to Nextels and now we are going back to radios. I bought a used system of radios.

We all still have phones but Nextels have unfortunately lost out to smartphones. I don't pay for guys phones. The radios are in the trucks/equipment and are much quicker and you can talk to everyone at once. With a repeater we can hear a long way but in terms of effectiveness the speed is nice when working together in lots or if someone needs help.

7. birddseedd

ok. maybe i missunderstood what he meant by business radio.

i still say beef up your cb antenna and other components. cb's can reach half way around the world if the conditions are right. for qualitity communication around town 10-15 miles. have a high qualitity antenna, cable and mic. you shoudl be able to do it just fine. better than cell phones.

8. m297

m297 Member

Seems like a fair price, once your on a repeater/trunking system you'll never go back.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Cell phones with blue tooth ear buds

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

By the time you get into modified cbs, antennas etc, you could get into a legal used repeater system, with more reliability and clarity.

We use it as a selling point. We can communicate with radios or phones, its something that sets us apart from other even bigger companies.

11. Chaos

Chaos Member

Hi Doyles,

I installed radios in all 7 of my vehicles and absolutely love it. This year I switched over to digital (icom Idas) radios and have almost twice the usable coverage over last years analog radios. I also setup a repeater approximately 50 feet high and the range is about 25-30km radius. The advantage of digital radios are clarity and privacy, no more hissing and the ability to encrypt all communications allows us to speak more openly.

It is an expensive system to get in to, but the advantage of radios over cellphones is they hardly lose value, so the initial investment is hardly lost if ever you want to get out.

Ideally, an analog system on a good repeater should cost roughly 30$/month per radio, and digital is 50$/month per radio (my repeater pays itself off in one season).

We too used to have Telus Mikes (Nextel equivalents) but the employees kept breaking them, using them for personal, and it was VERY expensive for what it did.

If you have any questions, don't be shy.
    Dan

12. birddseedd

y not use a cb that does not have a monthly cost.

13. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Radios are the way to go. We went to our local company and they gave us laoners to go try out so we would know if we had the coverage needed. We leased them for the season after trying them out. $130.00 for 2 moble units for 4 months. the are on a repeater/trunk system and the coverage is about 20 miles depending on the weather. Love the system. we are going to purchase them for next year.

14. Chaos

Chaos Member

Good question! Call me paranoid but I wanted privacy. I also didn't want interference, I like the option to select a specific user within the group and talk just to that person. Sending call alerts in case they weren't in the truck. Checking radio status is nice too (see if they forgot to turn the radio on). The possibilities are endless on digital! LOL

Also, all radios are terrain dependant, so expect blackouts without a repeater. CB or otherwise.

15. birddseedd

makes sense.

16. doyles

doyles Member

CHAOS
    thank you i do have some questions if i put radios in the trucks they whould be didgital uhf and at lest i hope so they quoted me 500 with install
    now about the repeater since we work in the city and surronding area i was told we probaly will have to run thru a repeater service (60 dollars a mounth)
    so what is all the talk about a trunk mounted repeater
    i thought if i ran my own repeater i whould have to put up a big antena at my house and thats were the repeater whould sit
    now if i have the to way radios dont i have my own privet channel
    thank you

17. Chaos

Chaos Member

hi Doyles!

Ok, I think what they meant by trunk is a trunking radio. I think all digital radios can do trunking, but large companies that lease their repeater air time use it so they can have more users per repeater (cost efficient). Basically what this means is your radio will change channels seamlessly to allow others antenna time as well. I personally find 60$ each radio a lot of money.

Now if you set up your own repeater all you will have to pay is your frequency per year (300$ approx). This will involve setting up a repeater at your home or office, or anywhere you can get a good height, install an antenna with a duplexer that will be programmed to your frequencies and that's it.

I know if might sound overwhelming but if you get into it its actually a very fun project!

Kind regards,
    dan

18. doyles

doyles Member

HI CHAOS
    i'am sorry for the miss understanding for up to five radios it 50 dollars a mounth total
    i think i will run the radois and rent my air time for at least the first year and see how it works out
    thank you for all your help

19. birddseedd

sure you dont wana try next year. since winter is over. in mi anyway:cry:

20. doyles

doyles Member

i also do landscaping but your right i was thinking ahead