1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UHF Radios who uses them?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

How many of you guys have UHF radios in your trucks?? I find there nicer then cell phones, cause you can here what every one has going on.

Let me know.

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

is that ham radio? I know it would be easier when you in the same location....

3. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I use ham radios
    HF 2-30mhz have talked to anystate USA, europe, south africa from my truck while driving in westernt NY!

or VHF 50-170 ish
    I just mod the radio and can talk in a unused area
    UHF is in the 440mhz range

4. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Isn't there a license req. to use Ham radios? I don't recall. Maybe only for the base station?

My memory is gone...:dizzy:

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Rigth you have to FCC lic. I'm not talking about ham, i'm talking about company UHF raidos

6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

privet band UHF
    I have a lic for 440 uhf ham band

your talking commercial UHF but if you need some range go with 100watt VHF commercial
    UHF dont have the range unless your using a repeater.

you could try those 5 watt family radios
    just dont be saying your business name
    use them just when working a complex or parking lot

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if thats the same as business band radios we use them...base station is at the shop (dispatch)...we get about a 40-50 mile radius with them...they work well except when you get down into some valleys and low lying areas, usually the same places you get no cell phone reception which really sucks when you start having jobsite/equipment problems

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We call ours 2-way radio's. We have around 24 of them, they are in every vehicle we own and they are very handy. We only pay a license fee for 4 radios, so the rest are free. Some of our radio's are 30 years old and still work fine and we find they are much easier to use then cell phones for the farm and plowing.

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

we use UHF with a repeter, cost us $30 month, for the repeter. There the best thing for plowing, this will be our 2nd year using them, I dont know why we did get them sooner..

I just wanted to see how many other guys use them. We have them in the trucks. Planing on putting one in the house, and one at dads place(also the shop). The answering service we use said we can put on there aswell, save a phone call.

10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have been looking into uhf as well I am contemplating uhf or nextels. I like nextels because I can take it inside with me I guess I could get a handheld but it just keeps adding up. How have they been working for you Ronnie? Have you taked to steve latley?

11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we've got about 6 mobile and 6 portable they are uhf or vhf i don't remember but the run off a repeater and can bounce for quite a few miles i think the farthes we've used them is eldorado springs MO to overland park KS which i think is about 50-75 mi i donno,

they work o.k. but they are high i think we give about $400-500 for mobile and $500-600 for portable and then like $25 per month per radio they are the kenwood radio and i think they are TRUNKING radio also. we had the talkaround freq. put in ours and it is a lot easier than waiting for the beep to talk. we have had them for years but we use mostly cell's now and also use the little motorola talkabout's even though they are not "commercial use"

hope this helps

12. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Trunking radios are sweet, i'm not to the point where I need trunking. UHF is find for me.

Jeff, UHF vs Nextel, USF is better because you can hear what every one is saying.

13. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have been using commercial VHF and UHF, I have a comm FCC lic for the freq's I use and I am the only business allowed by the FCC to use those freq's in my area.

I am also an Extra class Ham operator and have several ham radios in my truck.

14. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

This is a great thread as I have been thinking about these options as well. Particularly when the site is large and you want to get ahold of a worker or foreman.

Exactly what handhelds are you all using, and what bases are you using?

Thanks,

Tim

15. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

for portables I use Motorola PR400's(uhf) there awesome, and I program them myself.

16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Kenwood tk-380 and tk-880 i think i'll check if interested

17. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Vertex is what we use.

18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my part time towing company is getting rid of the ones out of the trucks(bad idea) but i may pick them up their bill is $15 a radio a month....they can easily get us 40 miles give or take

19. doh

doh Senior Member

They are VHF here, the local trucker's have 3 open use channels plus an option for an @ cost/ longer range than cellphone, radio phone channel.

20. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have some motorolla business 2 ways. They only get around our building or in our lots but not to far from our property. The nextel coverage around here is awful so we went with cingular push to talk. It takes forever to initiate the PTT. We're thinking of adding a truck next year and we are thinking of the advantages of nextels GPS.

Do you guys rent the space on the repeaters?