1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uh Oh! (transmission)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, May 19, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well, m back with yet another question. lol

Okay, so today I hauled my old box to the scrap yard, and got a massive $9.50 for it, dropped the trailer I borrowed off, and on the way home, everytime I get up to about 15 mph, the whole truck jerks forward. What could this be? I did go through a MASSIVE puddle prior to this, (had a rooster tail size puddle) and Im wondering if that may have done something, but I highly doubt it. Is it time for a rebuild?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

$9.50 wow how much they pay for 1 ton? $50?

Did you see any leak on transmission or hoses? Do fluid smell burn?

what year and model is that? I know Chevy 2500 LD

it could be 400 turbo but we wait for expert.

3. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

It might seem obvious, but you can pull out the tranny dipstick and check for burnt smelling fluid.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The fliud is burned. Thats the first thing I checked, but something threw a tranny code and put it in limp mode. I had that cleared and its good now, and gonna go in for a flush real soon. I cant figure out what made it throw a code.

5. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I would Guess it was the Water that made it throw a code. Along with the burned fluid. Check the electrical connections on the tranny. Maybe even unplug the connections and add some dieelectric grease to them, to keep the water out.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The NSBU switch (located on the side of the trans) was drenched when you drove through the road lake. Thats what caused the strange issue. Either hope it dried itself out or replace the switch so it doesn't happen again.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey B&B, what's your opinion on tranny flushes? I have heard horror stories.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Id like to know the same thing.

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Flush can knock sludge in transmission clog valve body and line. Too many people didn't know that they suppose to change filter and oil when they did flush.

If it was me I would just put new filter and oil that all it.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A flush or an exchange?

Flushes are ok (although not recommended by most manufactures) on some properly maintained or low mileage units but you never flush a unit thats been long neglected, although I never do (or) recommend them to any one for any trans regardless. Too much chance of causing contamination issues that were not there previously. If it's that bad that you feel it needs "flushed" then it should have the fluid exchanged and then pull the pan and change the filter. Sometimes twice in extremely neglected cases.

An exchange is ok on most any trans in most any condition but you still want to be sure to change the filter and clean the pan out afterward...which few shops actually do and thats what leads to issues.

But even an exchange isn't needed if you maintain the trans properly to begin with. Exchange machines were simply enacted to make the fluid change process faster/more productive for the shops...and of course producing more revenue due to the belief of the vehicle owner that they're doing a great service for their vehicle.

Drop the pan, clean it out and change the fluid and filter every 25K or so like you should on a vehicle operated under a sever service schedule and there's no reason to lighten your wallet further.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As always, sound advice from B&B. In addition to B&B's advice, I have put things back together, pulled a cooler line, and started the engine. Shut her off when the color of the fluid changes to the new stuff and top it off. Usually in two steps so I don't pump the tranny dry.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im sitting with a light brownish color in mine. I should just change the fluid in the pan along with the filter? Im a little bit confused. Sorry.

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would just change the fluid and filter. Some just have a screen over the fluid intake and all you have to do is clean it. Don't push your luck and flush it.Let it drip a while after you take the pan off. Some of the early Ford computer controlled transmissions had issues with the pig tail that connects it to the CPU.
    I have driven a bunch that would trip the limp home mode when it was raining. Kind of annoying in an ambulance!

14. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

This is very helpful, thank you.